5 Willow

"It's making my face tingle."

"Oh, that's just the first layer of skin melting."

"Willow."

"Relax, that was another joke."

Willow covers the last bit of skin with the clay face mask, careful not to get anything in his beard. "You have a lovely beard," she mumbles then freezes. She had not meant to say that out loud. She sees Austin's lips twitch. "Was that another one of your jokes?" he whispers, his eyes still closed.

"No..."

"Then, thank you."

"Now just let it sit for a few minutes," she says standing quickly and throwing another log on the fire that Zeus has curled up in front of like he always does. She kneels next to him and gives him a scratch. He rolls onto his back and stretches out demanding a full body scratch, so she gives it to him.

"She told me Zeus had died."

Willow's head snaps to Austin as her mouth drops open slightly. He has turned his head slightly, getting some of the clay mask on the pillow while he looks at her.

"That's awful."

"She always hated that I had him and usually when I go away my brother looks after him, but he was out of town. I was hoping to get them to finally get along so I suggested she look after him this time. When I got home early and Zeus was not there she told me he had died. I was gutted and went for a walk around my property to clear my head. I landed up by the gate and chatted with Max, told him about Zeus, but he said that was a lie. He said Zeus was very much alive."

"Oh, you must have been devastated."

"I was cut up. He is the only good thing in my life right now," Austin whispers then turns his head to look up at the ceiling. They are quiet for a while, Austin staring at the paintings on her ceiling while Willow scratches Zeus. It's a lot to take in - what a nasty thing to do to someone and Zeus is the only good thing in his life? That's heartbreaking. She clenches her jaw to stop herself from crying and throws another log on the fire then stands and checks the mask. "It's ready," she whispers then sits down next to him and gently wipes it off with a warm face cloth. Austin watches her carefully as she works. "Tell me about yourself," he whispers. "I grew up here, moved to LA when I was eighteen but I hated it so I moved back here. I bought this place, did it up, and started my dog grooming services. I make wine, whisky, butter, cheese, creams, and body lotions from plants, herbs, and flowers that grow on my land. I do deliveries every Saturday of all that stuff as well as fresh milk, eggs, honey, and crystals  - I do my deliveries on a Saturday. I have art projects on the go all the time, I make my own clothes, I paint, and...uh...what else? Oh! I like to dance and swim in my river. I also have a twin brother, Nathan, who is a doctor. He was lost to the corporate world sadly - but I have managed to get that wild and free heart securely in his son's chest. My sister-in-law is Cally and she is a nurse, she is a great mom and wife. I adore her. I am happy - my life is simple," Willow explains.

"You fascinate me," Austin says eventually, his eyes still scanning her face. Willow offers him a big smile and stands. "You are done, feel your face," she says. He touches his face and his eyebrows shoot up. "I don't think it has ever been this soft," he says sitting up. "Your dark circles have lightened, but take the mask and put it on for ten minutes every evening this week and sleep...properly. It's not good to starve your body of sleep," she says. Austin smiles at her softly and then nods his head. "Ok, well...would you like some coffee? Then I could tell you my plans with Zeus," she says standing. "Sure," Austin says, still feeling his face.

Willow jumps up and rushes off to the kitchen to make them coffee and by the time she gets back she finds Austin has moved from the couch to the floor in front of the fire. He has made a nest of blankets and pillows and is now giving Zeus his second full-body scratch. Zeus is drunk on the attention. "Here," she says handing him his coffee and then making herself comfortable next to him in his little nest. "So you don't listen to any music then?" he asks. "Oh, I do. I have a record player and some old records, see," she says pointing to the old record player she had picked up at a second-hand market. Austin puts his coffee down then moves over to the record player and flips through the stack of records next to it. "These guys are all dead...Nat King Cole, Elvis, Bob Dylan," he mumbles then takes the Nat King Cole record and puts it on, turning the music down low and climbing back into the nest. "Still good music though," he says softly, picking up his coffee. "Agreed," Willow says with a soft laugh.