24 Willow

Austin jiggles the key in the garage door and then lets it roll up with a loud clank. Willow sees two cars, a motorbike, and a bunch of junk in boxes. "What do we have here?" she asks walking into the garage. "You just have random things on wheels around the country?" she asks running her finger through the dust on one of the cars. "I had them here to use when I visited," Austin mumbles as he looks at the cars. Willow can see in his eyes he knows he has just wasted his money. These cars have never been used. "Car or bike?" he asks.

"You have a lot of faith in your cars if you think they will start. The battery is probably as dead as a doornail. I say let's give your bike a go."

"You have a lot of faith in my bike."

Willow laughs softly and hops onto the bike. "Let's go! Off into the sunset," she says. Austin chuckles and starts rummaging around in the boxes then shouts triumphantly when he pulls out two helmets.

"Can I drive?"

"Nope," Austin says shoving a helmet on her head and then the other on his head. "But, I have my licence now. You forced me," Willow grumbles.

"I didn't force you. I gave you a gentle...nudge."

"You threatened to stop chopping wood."

"And you got your license the very next day. How about that?" Austin says in mock shock. "No one likes a smart ass, Austin. Get on the bike," Willow says rolling her eyes and hiding her grin behind the helmet mouthpiece. Austin pushed her to the front and then throws his leg over the bike. The way the bike dips as he sits down on it makes Willow shiver a little. It's ridiculous the hold Austin has on her. He gets her shamefully feral over him. "You going to let me drive?" she asks just before he starts the engine and revs it. "No. But, you are small and easily distracted so I prefer to keep you in front of me and in my arms."

"I am not easily...oh, is that a sword sticking out of that box?"

"And once again you prove me right, baby," Austin laughs then sends the bike forward. It's a cool night and so the icy wind whips at Willow's cheeks, but there is something freeing about being on a bike in the early morning hours. The city is still asleep so the roads Austin speeds down are deserted. Willow watches the houses fly by and takes in the city as they go. She knows Austin grew up here, this is his home town and it's exciting knowing she is passing by places he probably hung out with his friends as a kid. Maybe she will even get to meet some of his old friends. After he has set things right with his parent he can make things right with a few childhood friends too.

It's a beautiful city but if Willow is being honest she has been nursing a headache since landing and the high buildings they pass make her feel slightly claustrophobic. She gets a sudden pang of homesickness that makes her wish for home. For her little cottage in the woods and her icy cold river. She could not last more than a few days in the city. In any city.

Austin takes a sharp right and then a football field comes into view. He slows down and eventually rolls the bike to a stop in the shadows under a large oak tree.

"What's this place?"

"Spent most of my teen years here. It's the community football field. We would play a game every Friday night and then on Saturday night we would come here just to mess around," Austin explains pulling off their helmets and then helping her off the bike. "Riveting. A patch of grass in the middle of the city," Willow says bending down to run her hand through the grass then scrunching her nose when she feels that it is not real grass. "Turf..." Austin mumbles taking her hand and walking around the edge of the football field. They eventually get to the large bleachers on the side then duck under them and pulls Willow with him.