9 Austin

"Well, at least the engine is clean."

"She apparently cleans it with her homemade whiskey."

Burt throws his head back and lets out a howling laugh. Austin likes Burt, he is about a hundred years old, lived in Cottonwood Heights his entire life, and is the best dam mechanic he has ever met. He works full-time for Austin but refuses to leave the Cottonwood Heights boundary line. So Austin keeps his entire fleet of cars up here now.

"Well, it works for your fleet too," Burt says when he finally gathers himself, picking up a spray bottle and shaking it. "Is that Willow's whiskey?" Austin asks, shocked at the thought. "Yup, best dam engine cleaner around. And..." he says spraying some in his mouth, "all-natural, tastes great too."

Willow lets out a laugh then opens her mouth, letting Burt spray some in there. "Oh!  I remember this batch, it was my cherry flavor! I just made an elderflower batch, you want a bottle?" Willow asks heading for the back of her van. "Will never say no to that," Burt says giving himself another spray. "What's going on between the two of you?" he asks looking at Austin with a raised brow. "Not sure..." Austin mumbles with a shrug. He is not sure, but he knows it's something - something essential. "Well, you better get sure, boy. Remember I have access to all the brakes on your fleet," Burt warns holding up his spray bottle and pointing it at Austin's mouth. "Yeah, I know. I have been warned. One tear on her cheek and I will have a mob of townspeople at my door," Austin says moving his head back slightly while Burt continues to point that spray bottle at him. "Boy...hurt that girl and the townspeople will be the least of your problems," Burt says with a chuckle.

"What do you mean?"

"You make that girl so much as sniffle and her Daddy will appear. He was raised by wolves."

Austin stops breathing. That sounds like a big problem. Wolves? Fuck! He should have known Willow would have an old man who would murder for her - he thinks he would possibly murder for her and he hardly knows her. Austin watches Burt for a moment, weighing up his options. Live or die. Slowly, he opens his mouth. Burt sprays a shot of whisky on his tongue and wriggles his brows with a grin when Austin chokes on the fumes a little. The stuff is lethal.

"Here you go, Burt! I got you a jar of honey too, I know Nancy loves the stuff," Willow says walking back to them. "I didn't realize you knew each other," Austin says banging his chest and coughing a little - that whiskey reminding him it's around still. "Small town. Everyone knows everyone," Willow says with a shrug. "Ok! So this van is as old as shit, but the engine is good, breaks are good - needs a few tweaks here and there, but I could have it good as new in an hour or two. Nothing major," Burt says sticking his head into the engine again. "Really?! Thanks, Burt! What do I owe you?" Willow asks also sticking her head into the engine. Austin does not know why.

"Nothing, Austin pays me a monthly wage to tinker on his fleet," Burt mumbles as he knocks on something inside the engine. "How many cars does he have?" Willow asks leaning further into the engine.

"Too many for one man, rich people are wasteful like that."

"Tell me about it...what's this?" Willow asks leaning in deeper so now her feet are just dangling in the air. "That looks like evidence of a rat or a mouse or even a snake. I will catch it if I come across it," Burt says also leaning in further. "That's enough," Austin says grabbing Willow's hips and lifting her out. The last thing he needs is for her to get bitten by a snake - how will he explain that to the town? They will hang him for sure. Also - the fucking wolf! "Don't kill it if you catch it. Put it in a box and I will put it in the bush near the river," Willow says. "Ok," Burt says with his head still in the engine as he bangs on something. Austin hopes like fuck he finds nothing.