8 Austin

They spend most of the morning driving around the little town on Willow's deliveries. The woman is as shit at giving directions as she is driving, she is whimsical and Austin has no idea how she has managed this far in life. She goes against every logical lesson he was taught. He should be annoyed, mad even, but the way she giggles and shrugs off every blunder has him chuckling too.

"Turn left."

"Where?  There is no road for me to turn left down."

"Oh...I meant back there, you missed the turn. Oops."

Austin chuckles and does a U-turn, almost missing the turn when she again forgets to point it out. Austin has met a lot of people today. Most do not know who he is, but they are always very welcoming. Although, he often gets warned to be sure never to hurt Willow - Tish was not joking about an angry town at his front door if he ever caused Willow any sadness. He also meets people who know him immediately. He can see them freeze and then get excited but Willow whispers in their ears and suddenly he is unknown again. He would feel invisible but he doesn't - it's a strange feeling. He has wished for invisibility for so long, wishing at times that he had a magic coat like that wizard boy had in a book he once read.  Now he is invisible, but he does not feel invisible - not by the way Willow looks at him. She looks at him as if he is the only person in the world.

"Well, that's us done for the day!" Willow says, dusting her hands off as she comes out of the dog shelter - she made good on her promise to Marty. The back of Willow's van should be empty with all her deliveries done, but it's not. It's full. For every bottle of whisky, wine, honey, or other item, she received something from her customer. They all paid her, but her van is now full of wildflower seeds, fresh cuts of meat, vegetables, two live chickens, feed for her cows, and any other thing a happy carefree hippy would want, including freshly made fudge. Austin has his eye on the fudge.

"Where to now?" Austin asks climbing into the van and starting it. "Well, I am sure you want to go home. Get back to your adventurous life," Willow says climbing into the van and slamming her door shut.

"Not really."

"Oh...you don't have to work?"

"I do, but that does not mean I want to get back."

Willow's brow creases and she suddenly looks so sad. She blinks furiously and then laces her fingers together tightly on her lap as if she is afraid they have a mind of their own. "What's wrong?" he asks, worry creeping up his spine. He does not like seeing her upset. He may also be a little traumatized after all the warnings he had today to not make her sad. He is too young to die. "Sorry," Willow sniffles and wipes a rogue tear that had slipped down her cheek. "Willow..." Austin breathes out, real worry seeping into his bones. He pulls the van off the road and turns to look at her.

Willow practically launches herself at him and wraps herself around him tightly. Austin has experienced many lows in life and he has experienced many highs too. But, the high he gets from being lost in Willow's tender arms - well, nothing compares. It's magical in here. "Why are you crying?" Austin whispers into her neck as she sniffles softly. "Sorry, I can be a little silly with my emotions sometimes. It makes me sad to think you hate your life so much that you would not want to live it," she whispers so softly that Austin battles to hear her. But, he heard her. He squeezes her tight then lets her go, hooking his finger under her chin and making her look at him.

"Do you know what Novacaine is?"

"It's an anesthetic."

"Yes, a drug. It blocks your nerves from sending pain signals to the brain. Put it in a gas form and breathe it in - your whole body feels numb to any pain, even emotional pain. Back in my world, I call it Novacandy...she was my favorite girl."