22 Austin

Life is amazing.

It's wonderful.

Over the next few months, Austin feels his life can't get much better and the love that sits firmly in his chest for Willow only expands. Willow is the air he breathes.

Hollywood feels like a fever dream and without his phone that is still buried somewhere in Willow's house, he has no connection with anyone from that world. He has cut ties with all the people he knew. His days are spent making love to Willow, swimming in the river, collecting eggs, mowing lawns, riding along to dog grooming appointments, or Saturday deliveries. He still won't milk Daisy and George is still not gorgeous nor is he his friend. But, he builds Willow a new kitchen table and tries his hand at building an outdoor hot tub - it works out great and so he fucks Willow in it. He still chops wood every day under Willow's gaze before she distracts him by dropping her dress.

He writes more songs on the deck in the wildflower patch that still has no wildflowers in it much to Willow's dismay - she checks every day. He goes fishing with Jerry but refuses to join him when he offers to take Austin hunting - knowing Jerry, it will be unconventional and quiet frankly Austin is petrified of the image of Jerry holding any type of weapon. Every Saturday night they join Nathan and Cally at the lake with their friends. Every evening he sits by the fire with Willow while she tells him stories and useless facts, and then every morning he slips between her thighs.

But, he misses the thrill of performing. He misses the adrenaline pumping through his veins when he steps up to the mic and feeds off the energy from the endless crowd in front of him. Nash makes a deal with the music man and he parks his karaoke caravan in Willows yard. Nash also gathers a small band from auditions he held in the town. They all squash into the caravan and slowly, every day, they record one song at a time. They practice till it's perfect and then record it. No bells, no whistles - just him. The songs are personal, private even, and he feels vulnerable every time he opens his mouth. The songs are nothing like anything he has put out before and that scares him. But, when he whispers that to Willow she reminds him that he is brave. So he continues and soon enough the day comes when he records his final song.

"Fucking hell," Nash breathes out as Austin pushes out his final note - the caravan going quiet. "It's done. That's the final song," Austin says. Nash lets out a soft whistle and turns off the recording.

"If I had known you had all of that in you, I would have pushed for this long ago."

"Would not have worked...all of this comes from Willow's soft hands," Austin says resting his guitar against the caravan wall. Nash opens his mouth to say something but stops when the sound of Willow's voice is heard in the distance as she shouts Austin's name. Austin jumps up and rushes out of the caravan. Willow is standing on the deck in the wildflower field jumping up and down - calling Austin's name so he rushes to her a little worried. "What is it, baby? You ok?" he asks when he gets to her. "Look!" she shouts then jumps off the deck and falls to her knees in the field. Austin joins her and then looks carefully at the grass she is pointing at. "It's a wildflower, Austin! My first one!" she says excitedly then leans in close to it. "Hello there little darling," she whispers. Austin chuckles and pulls her into his arms.

"You had me worried you hurt yourself, baby."

"Oh, sorry. I just got a little too excited! This is the best day!"

"It is. I have finished my album."

Willow pulls out of his arms to look at him then throws her arms around his neck and pulls him in close. "I am so proud of you," she whispers in his ear. But her voice, although proud, has a hint of worry in it. He knows why. He has been with her for five months now. At the end of month six, the record label will demand their pound of flesh from him and neither of them knows what that will look like for them. It's bittersweet.