17 Austin

Austin watches as Jerry walks around the wood shed stopping every so often to sniff the wood or run his finger over a nail. Eventually, he lays flat on his back in the middle of the shed and looks up, his eyes searching every nook and cranny. What is he doing? After he seems satisfied with his inspection he stands and walks back to Austin then stands next to him as he looks back at the woodshed. Austin does not know what's going on. What is he supposed to do?  So he just stands quietly and looks at the woodshed too. He had worked hard on it, it's the first shed he has ever built and he thought he had done a pretty good job although now that he looks at it - it looks like shit and is a little unstable.

"Boy. I think you have done a great job. It's some clean work. You should be proud. I am," Jerry says turning his head slowly to Austin and grinning.

"Really? You think so?"

"Yup, I think so. Do you want me to help you finish it off? You just got the one side left and the roof. We will be done in no time."

Austin is a little shocked, to be honest. "The more I look at the shed, the more mistakes I see," he says, shaking his head. "Aah, you are one of those. Life must be tough," Jerry says rummaging through Willow's messy box of tools.

"One of those?"

"Those that focus on the faults in life and not the fact that they built a fucking woodshed from scavenged wood and their bare hands. You have built a structure!  A haven!" Jerry says walking toward the woodshed with his arms spread wide as if he is worshiping it.

"Hardly a haven. It's a woodshed."

"Is it though?  Or is it a place for the chickens to roost and get warm when the snow comes?  A place to keep my Willow's wood dry so she will always have a warm home and hot water? Or maybe it will be a forever reminder that even if you leave this place one day - you were here. You made a difference, left a mark," Jerry says turning to face Austin, his face serious. The man is being serious. "Well...when you put it like that...it's not just a woodshed," Austin mumbles. He is feeling a little emotional at Jerry's words. What the fuck? "Dam right, boy. Ok!  Let's get cracking!" Jerry says picking up a piece of wood as Zeus barks and jumps around excitedly like a puppy.

They spend the rest of the afternoon finishing off the shed. Jerry almost dies twice as he works in complete chaos and Austin has a hard time concentrating on what he is doing because he is constantly side-eyeing Jerry. Who, by the way, never stops laughing, or joking, or talking. He tells Austin all about growing up and living an adventurous life on the outskirts of Cottonwood Heights. To Jerry, Cottenwood Heights is a massive city and he can only handle it for an hour a week when he takes Sunny to get all 'dolled up' as he puts it. Austin wants to know how the hell Jerry managed to convince Sunny to marry him and have two kids - has he been holding her hostage all this time?  It's the only logical answer. But, he won't ask just yet. He is still afraid Jerry may just turn around and bite him.

"You like fishing? Hunting? What do you like doing? What's your hobby?  You know, the thing that makes you happy and love life - besides my Willow of course," Jerry says as he holds the last roof plank in place while Austin hammers it in.

"Uh...I like fishing and hunting, used to go with my dad as a kid. I don't have a hobby per se but I sing. I like singing and honestly Mr...oh, I don't know your surname."

"Just call me Jerry."

"Wasn't raised that way. Don't feel right just calling you Jerry. I will call you Sir for now."

"Oh! That's posh! Ok, call me sir."

"Well, sir, there were a lot of things that made me happy and love life...but, there's nothing quite like the feeling Willow envokes - that's on a completely different level," Austin says slamming the hammer on the nail one last time before he checks that it's flat before he looks up at Jerry who has gone quiet and is looking at Austin.