100 - Aaliyah

October 13th, 2023
RCCG, City of David, Ikoyi. 

Today was the final burial of Mrs Morayo Juliana Balogun. And trust me when I say, it hasn't been easy. I've had to deal with everything. I was in charge of receiving and entertaining the non-ending visitors that came to pay condolences to Ayo, plus his large family members that were staying us, including father, step mom, uncles, aunties, sisters and brothers, plus his other baby mothers and their kids; In short, it was a damn full house.

Today was the burial service and the house was in full swing. Everyone was getting ready to leave for the church, kids ran about completely oblivious, adults sat around making small talks, plus most of Ayo's team who were around.

"Tessa!" I breathe down in relief when I saw her walking towards me, "Can you make sure everyone is ready? We leave in twenty" I told her.

Tessa nods, "Yes ma" She walks in direction of the sitting room while I enter the kitchen.

Mama G was giving instructions to the caterers for the reception, since it was Wizkid Mum's burial, the whole Nigeria was bound to be present!

"How's it going?" I ask the elderly woman, she had been a major help to me these few weeks, constantly taking care of the numerous children.

Mama G smiles, "It's going great, I'm just telling them what to do before we leave."

I nod, "Okay, please make sure everything goes right."

Mama G nods.

Tessa re-enters, "Everyone's ready"

"Ms Aaliyah, the cars are ready to move" Kenny Ayo's pa announced.

"Right, y'all can start leaving" I told him, he nods and walk out, I face Tessa. "Where's Ayo?"

She shrugs.

"I'll get him, everyone should be in the car by the time we're down" I instructed and walked out of the kitchen. I took the stairs two at time ignoring I was on heels.

Entering the bedroom, I look around, "Ayo?" Ayo was no where in sight. Lord he better be ready! I frowned checking the bathroom, lounge area, I enter the closet to find Ayo seated on a low settee staring at his hands!

I could've sworn I asked him to get ready hours back. I sigh moving towards him, he didn't notice me until I place a hand on his shoulders. Ayo jumped slightly, he blinks slightly before wiping his face to look at me.

Was he crying?

"Wifey?"

"Ayo what are you doing?" I ask.

Ayo looks around confused, "Um..I was trying to wear my shoes.."

I look down at the said shoes, they were bloody Dior sneakers! Who wears Dior sneakers to a burial especially their mother's burial where half the country would be and the whole world watching?

"You weren't planning on wearing those sneakers right baby?" I ask in the sweetest tone even if I was about to snap.

Ayo sigh, "I didn't know what to wear"