84 - Ayo

London
First day of therapy

From the corner of my eyes I watch Aaliyah fiddle with the bangles on her wrist, her feet tapping against the floor. Trust me I was so shocked that she showed up for therapy, at least it meant something right? We were sat on a couch with enough space in between us.

I look down at my wrist, the diamond Hublot said nine fifty eight, two minutes until the marriage therapist the court had been ordered us to see would come in and begin our section.

I glance at Aaliyah again, she was now playing with her finger nails, we still weren't talking, it's been a week since the court and we weren't talking. All the effort I made to talk to her went to vain as she kept ignoring me. I exhale, at exactly ten a new feeling of hope came running over me as the door opens and a middle age woman.

"Good morning, i apologize for the wait. I am Doctor Mary Peters" the white woman with rimmed glasses, dressed in pink blazer and white skirt smiled at us.

I stood up and shook the hand she stretched at me, "Good morning, nice to meet you I'm Ayo Balogun and this is my wife Aaliyah Balogun." At the mention of her name Aaliyah roll her eyes at me but still shook hands with the doctor.

"Please sit, would you like anything? Water?" Dr Mary questions taking a single seat herself.

I turn to Aaliyah, "Do you need anything?" Aaliyah shook her head no, I turn to the doctor. "We're fine, thank you."

Dr Mary nod her head, she grab the tablet on the table beside her, she type for a second before facing us again, her smile still big on her face, "So before we start let me introduce myself properly. Like I said I'm Doctor Mary Peters a marriage therapist and counselor, I've been in this practice for ten years, I've also been married for fifteen years still married, I've worked with plenty celebrity couples, Prince Harry and Meghan, David and Victoria Beckham, Coleen and Wayne Rooney, Katie Price and Peter Andre just to mention a few, So you can trust when I say I have the experience and nothing you say here will leave the four corner of this office, also this is something I tell every couple who come in here, No one not even the court can make your marriage work except you, So with that being said let's proceed." Dr Mary glance at her tablet. "So your file said you've been married for three years going on four?"

"Yes."

Dr Mary nods, she faced me, "Can you tell me a quick rundown of how you both met Mr Balogun?"

I cleared my throat. "I met Aaliyah at a party in New York, we got close and started dating a month after, we broke up few times until eight month later when I proposed."

Dr Mary wrote in her tablet, "And how have the whole marriage being? From your own perspective what do you think about your marriage?"

Once again Aaliyah was playing with her bangles, I cleared my throat again and faced Dr Mary. "Well we've had our bad and good days, there are times when we fight, argue but we always settle, I mean it's non evitable in every relationship right?"

Dr Mary nods her head. "Right. But what does it mean to you? The fighting? The arguing?"

I sigh, "Honestly it's tiring, I mean we fight over little things but then again who doesn't?" I didn't like the way the doctor was putting me on the spot.