Chapter 22: Memories (Part II)

I smile at Nathan, trying to seem like I haven't cried in the bathroom stall. I had to redo my makeup even.

Kids can be so cruel.

He nodded his head as he saw me, walking over to the tree I was standing under. He rarely smiled, only around his friends.

He didn't really like people, to be honest. I could understand. People were harsh and cruel. They beat you up and tear you down. It sucked, to be honest.

His hands were stuffed in the pockets of his black skinny jeans. He wore a Five Finger Death Punch tshirt, a leather jacket, and black boots.

He was in front of me shortly, towering over me. I smile weakly up at him.

"What's wrong?"

"Goddamnit!" I shout, "How can you always tell?" I pout, crossing my arms over my chest. He chuckled, bringing me into his strong arms. I nudge my face into his chest, smiling to myself.

"Because I know you," he spoke softly.

"Come on, I'm hungry," I sigh, taking his hand and leading him to the lunch room. Trying to ignore the stares of the kids who teased me everyday, calling me such foul names. I knew they wouldn't say anything while Nathan was here. I was very thankful for this. Nathan had made it very clear plenty of times not to mess with me.

Once in the lunchroom, he sat with me at my table, Avery and Melanie smirking as soon as we got there. They thought Nathan and I were so cute together.

Nathan sat back in his seat as I ate. Listening to the idle chatter coming from my friends. Nathan watched me with careful eyes.

"Mmm, babe," he called softly, sitting up.

"Hey, baby! How's it cost for a night?" I hear causing me to stop, my face crumpling. The table goes silent. My hand clamps onto Nathan's wrist as he nearly goes off on the guy. I give him a pleading look.

He sighs and nods. I look over to the guy who called me out to see a team linebacker. A smirk on his face.

Everyone was watching us now. The entire lunchroom. Many kids snickering and making comments.