39

Chapter 39
It stands to reason that having a tie in chess was a very rare thing. But right now, the two were indeed caught in an endless loop where victory and defeat could not be decided.

Yuan Ci Xian only thought that she was doing badly because her mind was wandering, what she didn’t know was that Lu Shi Qing was aiming for a tie. After all, leading a tie was actually more difficult than letting her win.

He pushed the chessboard, frowned and said, “We’ll talk about it again at night.” It seemed that he didn’t intend to play a second game.

Yuan Ci Xian thought about it too. When a person like Lu Shi Qing, who were like a dead duck with hard mouth and even talked duplicity when he was hungry, made such an obvious move to give in, there would be no next time, so it was better not to make more demands.

The torrential rain really didn’t last long, and when the game between the two was over, the carriage turned around and drove to a flat highland that was selected in advance to protect against flash floods.

When they got there, everything was already arranged. Shi Cui sent Yuan Ci Xian and Lu Shi Qing the rations that had been prepared in advance, and then went to settle down the accompanying officials with Cao An and Zhao Shu.

There was no shelter on all sides, everyone just took coir raincoats to barely shelter from the rain, hoping that the sky would be fine at night, but unexpectedly when they were about to fall asleep, it started to rain again.

Light rain could wet the clothes the most. Although such a situation would not cause other dangers, it was easy to catch cold.

When Yuan Ci Xian looked outside, she was embarrassed to repeat the old trick and use the retreat in order to advance strategy to drove Lu Shi Qing out.

Just now she took advantage of the clear sky to make many attempts, such as trying to move the contents of another carriage here, and asked him to sleep in her bed, while she squeezed in the back. But after measuring it, she found that the place was really not spacious enough, so rather than lie down there all night, she would rather suffer the wind outside and feel refreshed.

Lu Shi Qing didn’t open his mouth to help resolve it, and was busy reading several important documents from Chang’an in her carriage. Yuan Ci Xian was well-mannered, generally didn’t disturb his work, but sleepiness finally won and she had to take the initiative to ask: “Assistant Minister Lu, how about that “talk again”?”

His hand holding the paper paused, raised his eyes to look at her, seemed to ponder for a while before remembering it, then said lightly: “You take a rest, I will read the paperwork while waiting for the rain to stop.”

The implication was that he probably going to go outside later.

Yuan Ci Xian actually could fall asleep with a candle burning, but she was not hard-hearted after all. When she recalled how he tried to let her win the chess, she felt even more apologetic. She hesitated and said, “I’d better wait for your sleeping place to be settled before resting.”

After she said that, she continued to sit on the side while trying to keep her eyelids open, her head drooping down from time to time like a chicken pecking at rice, and jerk up when she hit the air violently, then rubbed her eyes and continued to accompany him through the pain.

Lu Shi Qing’s several actions today were nothing more than taking advantage of the right time and right place, intending to awaken this girl’s “conscience” that had been asleep for a long time. But seeing that she really had been fooled, he suddenly felt a little unbearable, especially looking at her ‘hang in there’ appearance, his heart softened and the plan was gone.