36

Chapter 36
The sky was already dark, there was no moon tonight, but the sky was full of stars, and the milky way was clearly defined, enveloping the entire Tanghe County in a magnificent luster.

The beads of stars were clear and bright, separated by a gate, naturally they could see each other’s expressions clearly. The two stared at each other for a while, then Yuan Ci Xian said first, “Assistant Minister Lu.”

Lu Shi Qing coughed lightly, and said “um”.

“Are you looking for me?” she continued.

He froze slightly, just before the word “yes” slipped out of his lips, he switched, “I can’t sleep, came out for a walk.”

Just now he impulsively rushed out, but before he could think of a suitable explanation, Yuan Ci Xian suddenly appeared, so he wanted to use “go for a walk” as an excuse to postpone.

After Lu Shi Qing finished answering, he asked again: “What about you?”

Yuan Ci Xian pouted, snorted softly, looked at the tip of her shoe and said, “I can’t sleep either, so come out for a walk.”

He said “Oh” then said: “Let’s go then.” After saying that, he turned and went outside.

Yuan Ci Xian was stunned in place for a few seconds, after realizing that this seemed to be an invitation to take a walk with her, she then raised her heel. He seemed to be slowing down his steps, so she was quickly the same level with him.

The two of them remained silent all the way until they crossed the entire courtyard, but suddenly said in unison: “I…”

Lu Shi Qing stopped and tilted his head to look at her, probably asking her to speak first.

Yuan Ci Xian turned to face him, hesitated and said: “I’m sorry, Assistant Minister Lu, I’m actually here to apologize to you.”

Lu Shi Qing was confused by her words: “What are you apologizing for?”

“Just now listening to the young man in the courtyard, I just realized that today is your birthday. If I had known it earlier, I would not be angry with you. Anyway, the birthday is the biggest, and on the day of your birthday, you can be forgiven for anything you do.”

Her tone was sullen, and she didn’t sound very happy, as if she was reluctantly accommodating him.

Lu Shi Qing didn’t know whether to laugh or cry: “Whatever you do can be forgiven?”

Yuan Ci Xian nodded, looked at the sky, then added: “It’s fine before dawn. After dawn, I may be angry with you again.”

She kept her head down as she spoke, leaving him with only the top of her head to look at. Lu Shi Qing looked down at her for a while, and smiled helplessly: “Don’t be angry at dawn. What County Magistrate Zhu said is all nonsense.”

Yuan Ci Xian raised her head in surprise. She did remember that he denied it in the afternoon, but she didn’t believe it. After all, how could County Magistrate Zhu speak nonsense in front of the imperial envoy.

“How dare he lie to me and eat bear heart and leopard gall?”

Lu Shi Qing couldn’t explain, and evaded: “How do I know why he suddenly went crazy? You just need to know that I didn’t promise that kind of thing.”

Yuan Ci Xian looked suspicious: “I don’t believe it.” She then added, “Unless you make a poisonous oath.”

He choked up: “What poisonous oath?”

“If you are lying to me right now, you’ll be covered in dog hair before dawn.”

It’s really poisonous. He laughed angrily for a moment, but still did as she said and swore word by word.