chapter 29

Luffy POV

"say Ace, you are lucky you had her in your life. she is so strong and so confident." luffy thought to himself. he was really impressed with what happened today. the confident and scary side he saw of Jules today was just..... amazing. god he needed more vocabulary. 

that deadly dance she did was so mesmerizing. Luffy was lost in his thoughts as he kept on playing that beautiful fight Jules had today. he liked her this side. the fearless one. but at the same time he thought about the sweet moments of her he had witnessed. this morning the giggle he heard had surprised him. for some reason he had noticed the small sound. he knew nami and Robin giggled often but he never paid attention to it. that soft small sound that came from Jules was somehow.........what is it called?????? oh yeah cute, Luffy thought.

had he found anyone cute before? he wondered. well Rose was cute, tama was cute tooo and so was chopper and now Jules was cute too. 

he had also felt proud for some reason when she had defeated those marines. they were small flies and it was very very easy to take them down but the smile he saw on her face, it told him what that fight meant for her. That fight was the push start she needed to finally be free. she needed it so that she could take that first step toward living her life the way she wanted. and that smile after she was done with it was priceless. her eyes were radiating like the sparkling sea, filled with happiness.

since day one even when he had seen her at Marineford her beautiful turquoise eyes lacked that spark, that happiness he had seen it flash in her eyes today. and when she came back the way that bold and confident personality melted into a shy and flustered one as everyone showered her with compliments. the way that confident and sinister smirk she had softened into a shy smile with red cheeks when the whole crew gathered around her to compliment her.

she looked so pretty in that moment Luffy thought. for last one week or so he had somehow started observing her more. she mostly spent her day playing with Rose and taking care of her. helping sanji in the kitchen or chatting with nami and Robin. and there was this one activity she did when he liked to just keep on looking at her. for hours she just stood by the railing and looked out at the sea. the soft breeze brushing against her face and fluttering her brown locks, a soft smile dancing on her lips as she just enjoyed the moment. 

he loved to just sit and watch her watch the sea. he would sit by the mikan trees and just admire Jules from afar. she would often mumble to herself too and he wondered what she was saying. was she talking to herself or he thought maybe like him she too talked to Ace. Ace, yeah that must be it, he too often sat on the figure head and talked to Ace, before it was very emotional, talking to him but now he was better, he sometimes talked to Ace about his day, something fun he saw or did. it was always nice talking to him once in a while.

he wondered what Jules talked to Ace about. was she happy talking to Ace like him or was she sad? he didn't know but he knew one thing about her. she was still hurting from what had happened. he had seen it that day when she told everything. she was still in pain from that loss. and luffy had decided he wanted to help her get over that tragedy. he wanted her to smile at Ace's memory and not cry, he wanted her to be relieved and free from that pain, he wanted to see her happy, and he is going to make all this happen. he had promised to Ace and himself after all.

" fifi, fifi, fifi" with a soft pat and small voice calling out his name luffy got out of his trance and looked down to see Rose looking at him with her big turquoise eyes. " shishishishi, what are you doing here chubs?" he asked picking her up and placing her on his lap. " aunty nami said I can have mitan." she said looking up at him with a cute pout. " heheheheh, its mikan, mi-ka-n." luffy laughed. it was funny listening to her unclear words. she was a smart kid, and spoke quite fluently for a 2-year-old but still mispronounced a lot of words.

sometimes luffy wondered how it would have been if Ace was here. how would he be around chubs? how would he interact with her. he also wondered what was chubs first word sometimes when she babbled on and on and on. he would get sad knowing Ace missed all the firsts of his daughter and will keep on missing them. and Rose too missed so many moments she would have had with her dad and could have had in the future, but that too will never happen.

" mitan." Rose said as with confidence sure she pronounced it right. " no no, its mikan." luffy said again trying to teach her the right pronunciation. " fifi give me." Rose whined as she didn't want to waste time learning the right pronunciation of a word when she could be having her mikan right now. " ok ok , there we go let me peal it for you." luffy said reaching up to pluck a mikan from the tree he was sitting under. he pealed it and gave a slice to Rose. he too ate a slice and watched Rose clumsily eat. suddenly she made a disgusted face. " fifi this bad." Rose said showing luffy the half eaten slice.

luffy looked at it and saw the rarely found seed in the mikan slice. " its not bad chubs, its just a seed, here I'll remove it." luffy took the slice from her removed the seed and gave it back to her. after that every time he gave her a slice he checked if it had a seed or not.  the duo laughed and talked as Rose enjoyed her mikan and luffy just kept entertaining her.                                                         ______________

on the lower deck two woman and a long nosed man were looking up at the duo having a fun but relaxed time. " is that really luffy?" nami asked surprised by the behavior of their loud captain. " I know right, how is he sitting there so calm and be patient. and is he really teaching Rose how to pronounce when he himself cant say a lot of words?" ussop added. 

it was really unusual to see. the only close interaction they had seen between luffy and kids was between him and momonosuke. they knew about tama but they hadn't witnessed that close of an interaction. and as far as it was momo, luffy was very rash with him. they had not expected luffy to have such a gental side to him.

" I guess we really don't know a lot of things about him hu. and maybe Rose chan holds a special space in his heart as she is Ace's daughter." Robin said making a valid point. it was true that luffy and Rose had a very special bond. luffy was gental with her, always aware of her safety, always sharing food with her, always telling her stories and trying to teach her something or the other, even though he was not the brightest in the crew he too had a lot of things to teach her. 

usually the crew saw the fun and carefree side of luffy, the childish luffy. though after their two year break he had gotten a lot mature and had a lot of moments where he was serious and behaved like and actual captain, he was still 90% of the time the childish luffy they knew. but since the arrival of Rose they had seen another side of luffy.

he didn't behave like a responsible 19 year old adult that he was nor did he behave like his childish self. he had some kind of balance of these two with a new added tarit. he was almost....... " say what would you call this side of luffy?" ussop asked looking at the two woman beside him. " hmmmmm its not like his other personality traits yet they can be seen." nami thought out loud. 

" I would say this side of luffy is kind of but not completely...........fatherly." robin said and nami and ussop immediately turned to look at her with confused faces. they saw her looking at the upper deck and with the same confused expression lookt at the upper deck too. there they saw luffy picking out seeds from the mikan slices and giving them one by one to Rose who happily munched on them wile giggling. luffy had a soft smile on his face not the usual wide one. his eyes filled with love , admiration, fondness and pride.

their confused faces melted into soft smiles as they nodded in agreement. " true Robin san, luffy san looks like very fatherly." they all turned to look at brook standing behind them. " yes, but... not the experienced type of father, like a young father still trying to figure out what its like to take care of a child. a father still learning how to be one." jimbe said walking up to the group while looking at the duo on the upper deck.

fatherly or not, but they all knew one thing for sure, this change in luffy was something even he wasn't noticing. it wasn't something luffy had decided to behave like. it was like an instinct he had around Rose that he suddenly got into this new phase of his personality. and they all were eager to see how this realition between the two will develop.