chapter 13

it was late at night. in the morning after chatting for a while jules was ordered by chopper to take rest. she had woken up in the evening just before dinner. the dinner was plasent. it was chaotic as luffy tried to steal food from everyone except for Rose. the mood was light and fun but jules had been uneasy. since luffy had left the room in the morning he hadn't said anything about her or rose or Ace. jules couldn't understand what he was thinking or what he had felt in that moment. jules was anxious about his reaction which she still hadn't got.

it was now a plasent night and jules was sleeping soundly. she slept in the medical bay as chopper was still treating her and had put her on an IV for better recovery. Rose didn't want to leave her mother alone and after a lot of tantrums was sleeping with jules in the medical bay as well.

LUFFY POV

it was quite late at night now and I wasn't able to sleep. the whole day I had been thinking about what jules had said. every time I looked at them I felt relief that they were safe. both of them were important to Ace so them being safe here on the ship was a relief.

after staring at the ceiling for god knows how long I decided to take some fresh air. i got out of the room and just walked on the deck taking in the salty see breeze. suddenly my eyes landed on the door of medical bay. slowly I approached it and opened the door. jules and Rose were sleeping here.

as I entered I saw the two sleeping soundly to the slight rocking of the ship. they looked peaceful. without really realising I walked towards the bed and pulled up a chair to sit on near it. i just stared at them. i remember how jules looked when I saw her at marineford talking to Ace when I had rescued him. she had the huge pregnant belly and she looked so happy to see Ace safe. the happiness practically radiating from her to her surroundings.

now not only was the belly gone of course but she didn't look the same. her face looked tired and the happiness was gone. i could tell she was malnourished by how thin she looked and how lifeless her face was. i remember how fascinated I was by the colour of her eyes when I had first seen her during the war. they were so unique. but the same turquoise eyes when I saw today were full of sadness and fear.

looking at her I wondered how she spent the last 2 years. i heard the conversation in the morning but.... but I wondered how she exactly felt after everything that happened. did she go completely crazy like I did? how long did she cry and greeve for Ace? it must have hurt so much to loose him, see him die in front of her eyes. it was scary as hell for me. i can still fell Ace's lifeless body going limp in my hand and my hand covered in his blood. that day still traumatized me.

but........ but I am okay now. i have my friends and Sabo too. things got so much better after I met sabo. knowing he is still alive was a huge relief. after Ace's death I felt lonely. very lonely and it was scary. i remember how I felt when I met Ace as a kid. how I wanted to play with him be with him cause it was scary to be lonely. it was worst than death. that same feeling returned after Ace died. i felt lost and didn't know what to do. if it weren't for jimbe I wouldn't have realised I had so much more left. and when I met sabo, found out he was alive, that lonely feeling was completely gone. i had my friends, and my family. i realized that i am not alone and its not lonely.

i hadn't realised the teras that had escaped my eyes now rested on my cheeks and some falling down on my hands in my lap. i again focused on jules and Rose, my vision blurry.

" i suffered so much, it hurt so much, but you did too. it hurt you just as much it hurt me or maybe even more. i lost my brother, but you, you lost the man you loved, the person you gave your heart to, the man you wished to have a future with. not only Ace but you lost whitebeard old man too. he was your father right? Ace really admired him, he was the real father for Ace, he was the same for you too right? it must have hurt so much with those two gone forever. " i couldn't hold my tears anymore. the more i tried to stop them the more they streamed down.

" and Rose, you.....you must be missing your dad right? you never got to meet him. i don't remember my dad either but, I remeber when i was a kid i wondered how it was to have a dad. i wondered how he was. did i look like him or my mom? i don't remember both of them but..... but over time it didn't matter anymore. and I had shanks by then. not a dad but someone close to one. but you.......Ace would have been a great dad you know. he would have loved you so much. no no no he loves you. he is gone but he still loves you. he is not here with you but he loves you.he must be wishing he could hold you and talk to you.....he must be wishing he could be here with you. you wish that too right? for your dad to be here. to meet him at least once. to play with him and have fun with him. you must be missing him so much, right Rose?"

it hurt to look at her. she looks just like Ace.just like those baby pictures of Ace in dadan's room. she is so much like him but....... but he is not here. he cannot show her how much he loves her. she is just 2 but knows the harsh reality that people want to capture her because who her dad is. it just like Ace. but there is a difference. where Ace hated the fact that he was Gol.D.Rodegr's son and people wanted him dead. where Ace was ashamed of that, Rose was proud of her father. at such young age she knew why her and her mother are running from island to island but she still thinks her dad is the coolest person. she doesn't hate him like Ace hated his dad.

as i kept looking at them only one thought crossed my mind. i need to protect them. i need to keep them safe. they are the ones most dear to Ace. if he was here he would protect them, keep them safe and keep them happy. but....but he is not here. because of me he is not here. if i wasn't so weak then, Ace wouldn't have died protecting me. he wouldn't have to leave the love of his live and his dear daughter behind in this cruel world all alone if i was stronger. but now....now i am way more stronger. i will protect them. protect them till the end.

i can tell jules is strong. i can tell she is very much capable of taking care of herself and Rose. but.....but i don't want her to take all the responsibility. it is my fault Ace is not with them. It is my responsibility too to protect them now. i will take on that will of Ace and protect them.

my eyes landed on Rose. her chubby cheeks are adorned with freckles just like Ace. she is the cutest little thing i have seen. her crying face flashed in front of my eyes. her begging the neavy officer to not hurt her mother in her cute small voice. i don't want her to do that again. ever again. i just want to see her smiling and laughing and happy. i don't want that bright smile of hers to ever leave her chubby face again. Ace would want the same. always see his daughter happy.

" I'll protect her Ace. she will never cry again in fear. she will never beg for mercy again. she will never be sad. i promise you Ace. no harm will ever come to her. no harm will ever come to both of them. I'll carry on your will and protect them with everything i have. i promise you."

i said looking at the two sleeping peacefully. i smiled and got up. fixing my hat on my head i walked to the door. before exiting i looked at them one last time. " i promise." i said and left.

finally able to sleep happily.