12 | Beauty & The Beast

Kane's POV:

I stood here as I practically watched Evelyn's every move. Even if she was just sitting down.

The way her eyes glared at everyone at the party told me she really didn't want to be here. And honestly, I don't really blame her. I don't really want to be here anymore.

But, occasionally, when our eyes would connect, and I would get to stare into those beautiful bright blue eyes again, I would suddenly forget that I was even here at this ball. Instead, it was just me and her in this ballroom. Staring into one another. I wonder what each other is thinking.

Staring into her eyes also reminded me of the moments that we have had within the past couple of hours. And just how inappropriate I have been with her.

My constant want to touch her, to caress her, to reassure her that I am here, even if she doesn't believe me, was getting out of hand.

I made a pact. That I intend to keep. I can't let myself become addicted to her. Even if she was like a drug.

I told myself I wasn't going to let her get to know me, and I intended to follow out on that. However, every single day I spend in her presence. The more I want to open up to her and laugh with her, the more it's getting really hard to hold back.

Her beauty tonight was like no other. She shined like a diamond and could easily be recognized and picked out out of everyone in this room.

She sat with her legs crossed in the throne, as her mother kept trying to correct every little thing she was doimg, and I could tell by the straight line on her lips, that she was about over it.

But her mother continued to have that perfect smile plastered on her face as she looked out onto the people.

Her father was currently talking to the Duke of Maxwell and his son, Brady.

He was smiling and shaking hands as one does. But, as I continued to watch them both, I could easily tell that they were talking about Evelyn due to Brady looking at her like she was snack.

A force of anger began to rise up in my body as my small smile turned into a frown.

Stop. She is not yours. She will never BE yours. So why am I getting so mad over him looking at Evelyn?

My eyes fell back to Evelyn, as now her eyes were fixated onto him.

Her cheeks lit up with a red tint as she licked her bottom lip slightly.

I couldn't help but bite mine.

I fucking hated this. I hated watching her swoon over some guy that she didn't even know, that wasn't me.

I hated watching her lick her lips for some person that wasn't me. And I didn't even have a right to hate anything about her and guys.

I didn't even have a right to have an opinion on it.

But unfortunately, I did.

My back sat against the stone wall, as the back of my left shoe sat against the wall, while my arms on the other hand were crossed like a pretzel.

I watched as her father moved to the side, as Brady and the Duke began to walk up the red carpeted steps, one step closer to reaching Evelyn.

I could tell by the way she straightned up her posture, and the way she propped her chest out, revealing her cleavage, that was making me and my dick go absolutely crazy, that she was trying to make a good impression.

And to be honest, she didn't need to. You could take one look at Ms. Hale, and boom. She had you intertwined in her little finger like a string, she was that addicting. And maybe that was just me? Maybe I am the delusional fool who is the only one obsessed with her.

But. I call that bullshit.

As soon as Brady came to a stop about a few feet away from Evelyn, I knew I couldn't stay this far away from her anymore.

I found myself walking towards her, as my feet continued to move.

I straightned my suit, and then used my fingers to due the same with my bow.

As soon as I reached the steps, I took them one by one, as I found myself only a few feet away from Evelyn.

I stood behind her, as I could practically smell her perfume all over her body.

God. That scent was the best scent in the world. I wanted to kiss it off her body, and pleasure her in ways, she hasn't even dreamed of-

Stop.

You cannot think about her like that.

I tried to hold back the anger, as Evelyn eyes looked behind her slightly.

Good. At least she knows I am here.

I looked up at the Duke as his eyes met mine.

He gave me small grin, as he nodded once in politeness.

I did the same back, as Brady and Evelyn began to talk.

But honestly, I didn't even get a single world that Brady was saying because I didn't fucking care.

Suddenly, Brady asked her to dance.

And with that sweet smile of hers, she agreed.

And as I watched Brady put his hand out, and Evelyn slide hers into his grasp, I felt the frustration run through my veins as the blood in Mt chest boiled.

I felt my breathing began to excel. As they began to walk off the platform, and to the dance floor they went.

I should be happy for Evelyn, Brady is a great man. Trust me, I have looked him up.

I have looked up, almost every single one of these rich bastards in here up.

I requested the guest list from the party planner, as I did a security check on every single person.

And most of them were just basic multi millonares or some sort of royals, while others had big secrets just waiting to be shared.

But, the people I was most interested in was the men that were coming to court females this season. And I personally picked which ones had the best record, that way Evelyn wouldn't end up with some asshole that would use her for her title or her money.

And Brady was a fine choice, in fact he was one of the best men on their. He had excellent grades, amazing achievements in sports, and all of the reports on him have been nothing but good reviews.

And Evelyn deserved someone like Brady. Hell, she deserved the world. And if I had a way to give it to her, I would do it in a second.

But I am just a bodyguard, while she is a princess.

I am nobody compared to her.

She has everything, while I have nothing.

Her story is simple, while mine is complicated and ment to be shattered.

And this thing that was going on between me and her needed to end.

Which is why I don't understand why I am heading to the dance floor right behind her.