Chapter 52

Previously on Chapter 51

The only way to stop a Shadowhunter's transformation is to kill them. The words from the book flashes before my eyes. Is that really the only way for me to stop Y/N from becoming a demon? Isn't there any other way??

-Slip Away-

Tanjiro P.O.V

The demon backed away as soon as he sees Y/N in this state. I can smell a strong scent of power coming from Y/N. I feel my body freeze up as I watch Y/N turning her gaze to look at the demon. The scent coming from her is pure evil.

I clench my hand around the hilt of my sword. I turn my head to look at it, before turning to look at Y/N. Her body slowly transform. I shake my head as I feel panic coursing through me. If I let this continued, she'd be too far gone.

"Y/N!" I yelled out, desperately. She slowly turn her head to look at me. I watch as one of her eye turned completely black while the other turns red. Blood streams out of her black eye.

"Y/N..." I said, as tears starts to stream down my cheek. She just stares at me. "Please... return to the way you are, Y/N. Don't lose yourself! Don't let yourself slip away!" I pleaded.

"Onii-Chan..." she said. Her voice sounded so weak. It's like the last remaining of her is almost slipping away. I bit my lips as I start to cry harder.

The demon lunges himself at her. She quickly jumps out of the way and land swiftly on the ground. She turn to face the demon. She clench her hands tightly as she glares at the demon. She swing her sword, sending a strong force at the demon.

The demon jumps away to avoid the attack

The demon jumps away to avoid the attack. I stare at her wide-eyed. I let out a gasp of horror. The demon just let out a laugh, looking as if he finds Y/N's transformation is the most entertaining thing he'd ever witness.

"Yes! That's it... keep transforming. I will get praise by the Lord if I succeed in getting you back to him as a full demon" he said. I shake my head at what he said. I clench my hand around the sword hilt. Y/N screams at him as she lunges to attack him.

"No! Y/N!! Don't listen to him! Don't turn into a demon, Y/N! Think about me... think about your twin! Think... think about your boyfriend, Tokito-Kun!!" I yelled out. She comes to a halt as she clutch her head.

Y/N P.O.V

I feel myself moving. But I don't know what I'm doing. All I'm able to feel is the anger growing within me at the way the demon treated my brother. My sight isn't clear, so I don't know what's going on in front of me.

Don't turn into a demon, Y/N! I heard a voice. Onii-Chan? What is he talking about? Turning into a demon? Me...? I hear him yelling out that I should think of how he'd feel. How Nee-San would feel... and how Muichiro would feel if I ended up losing myself. If I end up slipping away.

I feel my body stops moving as I clutch my head in pain. I let out a pained cry as I clutch my head, while falling onto my knees. I shut my eyes tightly as I try regain control of my breathing.

The pain in my head slowly stops. I slowly open my eyes and slowly open my eyes. My sight slowly comes to focus as I look around. I remove my hands from my head. My eyes widened in horror as I stare at them, realizing my nails are sharp... just like a demon's claw.

I let out a shaky gasp as I watch them transform back to normal. I look around the area, noticing Onii-Chan not far from me. He stares at me with what seem to be a look of relieved. What's going on with me? 

"What a shame, yeah? You could have become perfect when you turn into a demon" the demon said. I turn my head to look at him. He have a wide grin on his face as he stares at me. "You're so strong... so perfect" he said. He lift his hand as he start to scratch the side of his head. His skin starts peeling off by how harsh he's scratching them. The sight makes me cringe a little.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I said. He let out a laugh at what I said. I turn my head to look at Onii-Chan. He's still staring at me with the look of relieved. "What the hell is going on, Onii-Chan? What is he talking about? What's with his comment about me becoming a demon?" I said.

"How sad... you don't know your origins, huh?" I hear the demon said. I turn my head to look at him. I furrow my eyebrow in confusion which only makes him laugh even more.

"Your kind... the Shadowhunters are mentally weak! As soon as they awaken their power as a Shadowhunter... they will go through a selection. Only the Shadowhunter with the purest soul will remain the same and be what they meant to be... which is a half human and half angels. But the number of Shadowhunter who became half-angels are so little. Do you know why? Do you know why??" He said. I just stare at him, as he let out a laugh. He stares at me with a malice grin. "Because most of them... have transformed into demons. Those are the Fallens" he said. The smirk on his face widens as he finished his explanation. My eyes widened at what he said.

I feel myself getting pulled into an embrace. By the scent, I can tell it's Onii-Chan. He press my head against his chest while covering my ear with his hand. "Don't listen to him... you are not going to turn into a demon. You're you... no matter what. You're never gonna turn into a demon" he said. I just stare at the ground with my eyes wide. My mind suddenly filled with flashing images.

I can see the past Shadowhunters who turns into demons.

I feel a sense of fear surging through my veins. Will my soul be pure enough to be a Shadowhunter? Or will I be like those fallens and turn into a demon?

*to be continued*