Chapter 44

Previously on Chapter 43

"Shadow... hunters?" I muttered under my breath. If what is explained in this book is true. Then that means I'm a descendant of them. The mark would appear on the age of 14. My eyes widened in realization that I've just recently turned 14. Which means... I really am a shadowhunter.

-Don't Mess With A Sword-smith-

Y/N P.O.V

After we chat for a little longer, Onii-Chan and I agree that we should be heading back to the Butterfly Estate. Onii-Chan is still hurt after all. Even though I offered to heal him. He just keep on refusing, saying he'd be fine and he didn't want me to exhaust myself.

We're standing in front of the gate with Rengoku-San and his younger brother. I look down at my hand, realizing that I'm still holding the book. My eyes widen in surprise. I can't believe I almost forgot to return this.

"Thank you for the book, Rengoku-San..." I said. I offer the book for him to take again. He turn to look at me and lift his hand, stopping me from returning the book while shaking his head. I stare at him in confusion.

"Keep it... you'd need it more than we do. I believe you would be able to learn more about your ancestors" he said, smiling softly at me. I just bow to show him my gratitude. "Thank you again for saving my life. But... I don't think continue on living as a Demon Slayer. My body felt different... I did tried to perform a Flame breathing technique while training, but it feels weaker. It didn't have its usual strength" he said. He look saddened as he said the last part.

"I'm sorry, Rengoku-San..." I said, looking down sadly. I feel a hand being placed on my head. I lift my head to see it's Rengoku-San. He have a bright smile on his face, as he gently pat my head.

"It's okay. I was suppose to die that day. But you change my fate and it's more than enough. I can now spend some quality time with my father and brother" he said. I smile sadly at him. He steps closer to me, gently wrapping his arms around me. "Thank you for everything..." he said, in a sort voice. I feel tears streaming down my cheeks as I return his embrace. He places a hand on my head, running it gently through my hair.

I pull away from the hug and smiles at him. "We'll be taking our leave now, Rengoku-San... Senjuro-Kun" I said. They nod their heads and lift their hand, waving it a little. I turn to look at Onii-Chan.

"Let's go..." he said. I nod my head. He grabs my hand as we start to walk away from the Flame Estate. As we're far enough. I turn around to face the Rengoku siblings. I lift my hand, waving at them. They return my gesture with a bright smile on their faces.

Rengoku-San places a hand on his brother's shoulder to turn to look at him. They share a soft smile to each other, making me smile at the sight. I'm glad I can grant them a chance to still be together. Please live happily now... Rengoku-San. 

***

We're still walking as the sun begins to set. We're nearing the Butterfly Estate. I notice Onii-Chan slowing down a little. I turn my head to look at him to see his face looks really pale.

"Are you sure you don't want me to heal you, Onii-Chan?" I said. He turn to look at me and smile, shaking his head. "But... you look sick" I said, worriedly. He lift his hand, gently patting my head.

"I'll be fine... we're near the Butterfly Estate. I can get some more rest soon" he said. I just pout at what he said. He let out a chuckle at my reaction and ruffle my hair. "I said I'll be fine. Don't worry" he said.

"At least let me carry Nee-San... so you can walk freely, Onii-Chan" I said. He just nods his head in agreement. I gently take the box from him, and slinging the straps on my shoulder.

Is he okay, Y/N? I hear Nee-San's voice in my head. I turn to look at the box and smiles, assuring her that Onii-Chan will be alright. I feel a presence in front of us and turn to look forward.

"Uh... Onii-Chan..." I said, nervously. Onii-Chan turn to look at me. "Isn't that... H-Haganezuka-San?" I said, as I point at the person. The said man have a murderous aura surrounding him, making me feel nervous. He also have knives on him.

"You lost your sword?! Have you lost your mind??? And you... why did you let your brother lose his sword?! You both deserve to die... millions times over!!" He screamed angrily. Onii-Chan quickly grabs my hand and starts to pull me to run.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please! I'm truly sorry!!!" He yelled as we keep on running

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please! I'm truly sorry!!!" He yelled as we keep on running. I didn't say anything, too panic to come up with something to say. Damn... this man is scarier than demons.

"We were angry, Haganezuka-San!! We didn't mean to! Please we're seriously sorry!!!" I screamed, as I finally came up with something to say. But no matter what we say, the man just keeps on chasing us to the point Onii-Chan have to climb up a tree to get away.

Time-skip

"Apparently, Haganezuka-San kept up the chase almost until morning..." Zenitsu said, while he calmly eat his food. I feel exhausted from the chase, but I force myself to eat the food or I won't have any energy left.

"So you're too worn out to eat? Gimme!" Inosuke said. I let out a sigh as I finished eating my meal. I gently place the chopsticks down on top of the bowl. I reach inside my robe, deciding to just read the book Rengoku-San gave me.

I stare at the book for a few seconds, before flipping the pages wanting to continue reading where I left it. I hope by reading this book, I would be able to learn more about my ancestors... the Shadowhunters. Maybe it'll help me get stronger in order to kill the Demon King.

"Eh... Y/N-Chan?" I hear Zenitsu said, as I read. I lift my head from the book to look at him. He have a mixture of worried and scared on his face. He's pointing at me. "Y-Your nose, Y/N-Chan... your nose is bleeding" he said. I lift my hand and place it on my nose, feeling some sort of liquid. I didn't even notice it.

The book fell out of my hand and onto the floor. My sight starts to get blurry as Onii-Chan seem to forget he's tired. He rushes to my side, placing his hands on my shoulder as he stares at me worriedly.

"Hey. Are you okay, Y/N? Talk to me!" He said, sounding panicked. I didn't get a chance to say anything as I feel my whole body going numb. Onii-Chan is quick to catch me as I fall of the chair. "Hey! What's wrong?! Hang in there, sis. Oi, you two! Stop staring and go get Shinobu-San! Hurry up!" He yelled. I hear footsteps fading away, as my surrounding went dark.

*to be continued*