Chapter 57: Daytona

"We did everything that we could," Alex says as he walks over to Chase, holding his fist up in the air.

"We dodged the wrecks, drafted where we could, made friends that should have helped, tried to work together - and yet here we are, just shy of where we needed to be," Chase replies, going for the fist pump that was offered for him from his teammate. It was a fine visual for anyone watching, thinking the teammates were giving each other props or encouragement after what happened. But ultimately, eyes locked together, they both knew it went a lot deeper - and the cuddles that night would as well. "Here's to finding some momentum to end off 2023, winning some races, and kicking ass next year." 

"Taking names and kicking ass?" Chase chuckles, nodding his head in response as he wasn't about to question his teammate's thought process right now. "I pretty much want to throw this year in the garbage and get a re-do." Everything had started out so perfectly for Alex as he found the speed and momentum that'd been missing in his career. He was running up front weekly, becoming a serious threat for the championship. Then the wreck happened. The back injury happened. The haunting began. Roscoe died. What else could go wrong this year? 

"I feel you, I honestly do..." Chase was in a similar situation and feelings, as he came into the year with high hopes in finding the same success that led to championship contention previously. Then came the accident. Then came breaking his leg in Colorado. Then came the suspension at Charlotte. Then came the fact that if it could go wrong with the No. 9 team this year, it certainly did go wrong. 

"Can you pinch me, please? Maybe I'll wake up from a nightmare that I've been living since April." Chase lets out a sigh, wishing it was that simple as he'd want to do the same with his summer. The lack of positivity he was hearing in Alex right now certainly did not help his own feelings. "Have you heard anything about Ryan?" 

"I made Cole go check on hi-"

"I sent Cory in a round about way in that Blake knew what I wanted, but the rest of the guys wouldn't get curious. I held my breathe when he got turned there. That was ugly..." Chase slowly nods his head in response, taking a deep breath as he thinks back to his own emotions. He never panicked in the racecar. He never seemed to be someone to over-worry about someone. However, there was no denying the panic he felt in forcing Alan to have someone check on him. "Head-on is never fun. Then again, neither is backing in a wall. Okay - let's just say hitting a wall is not fun at all. Neither is going flying through the grass like Preece." 

"Now that was scary as ever. I was relieved when Eddie said that Ryan climbed out on his own before they took him away." Alex nods his own head in response, feeling his own anxious thoughts pick up a bit. It was a flip that sent him out of the car for multiple weeks. It was a simple flip that everyone thought he'd fine from. Flipping is certainly not the way to do things. "Alex..." Chase places his hand on top of his teammates, catching his attention as their eyes lock together. "Relax, it's fine. Let's go see Ryan and take care of him." 

The pair do the interviews required, neither wanting to talk about their disappointments of a season particularly with their hearts being focused on one person right now. As soon as the HMS PR department said they could leave, they did not need to be told twice as they quickly bolted from pit road and made their way to the motorcoach lot.  Neither left each others side as they reached the motorcoach, Alex standing behind Chase as he punched the code in to unlock the door.

The door then slipped open, with the pair making their way inside quietly together, taking care with each step, not wanting to wake Ryan if he fell asleep or startle him. 

"Watch out!" They hear from the back, with the shout quickly followed by the trotting of six paws with Blitz, Finn and Sturgis tackle the pair together. "Sturgis! Finn! Blitz!" The trio immediately stopped their antics, running back to the bedsroom and jumping back up in the bed. Sturgis took his spot on the left of Ryan, snuggled right close, while Finn sprawled out on the right side of the bed. Blitz, meanwhile, laid across the bottom with his eyes focused on the doorway. "Good boys." 

"Ryan...." Chase and Alex say together as they reach the doorway, looking in. Their hearts immediately melt by the sight before them in seeing the dogs taking care of him, but their worry pegged in seeing him sprawled out in the bed. Was there a reason he was taking it easy? Was he really sore right now? Was something wrong?

"I'm okay. I passed every test they threw at me in the care center. There is no real big annoying pains to worry about." 

"It doesn't mean we can't worry and care for you," Alex comments as he makes his way forward first, sitting on the side of the bed which Finn occupied. Finn easily moved for his owner, allowing Alex to slip in close to Ryan's side. 

"I appreciate it, but honestly, I am okay." He then looks towards Chase, before turning his eyes to the man beside him. He began to wonder what was just going through their minds, knowing how much Chase cared about him and how anxious Alex could get. "I am okay..." 

"I am still in charge of spoiling and taking care of you tonight, and tomorrow." Alex then wraps his arms around Ryan, pulling him close to him, placing a kiss on his cheek. "Whether you like it or not, you're stuck with us both taking care of you. There are no objections as you've always been there for us when we needed it. You're going to feel in the morning, and we're going to take care of you." 

"Seriou-"

"No ifs, ands, or buts," Chase states as he stands at the bottom of the bed, eyes locked on the men before him. "Massages, bubble bathes, soaks in the hot tubs, more massages, and perhaps a little spoiling to release some estrogens is in order for you."