Chapter 28: Goodyear 400

"Come on Finn..." Alex says as he makes his way into the garage area with Finn on his leech. 

He made the last minute decision to make the trip up to the track, knowing he was missing the feeling of being there and around everything. Besides, you couldn't ever go wrong with a trip to Darlington Raceway. There was also another pair of boys that he admittedly was missing and wanted to see.

Of course, making the trip to the track did not come without it's poor privileges, as he had been asked to speak with the media for 10 to 15 minutes, and answering some of their questions. What was he supposed to say? He didn't have any answers to the future. There was still a bit of pain. He wasn't a doctor so he wouldn't know how it was healing. Of course it sucked to be out of the car, watching it go around the track without him, and lose valuable opportunities at some of his favorite tracks.

After opening the door so Finn could run up into the trailer, he takes a deep breath as he notices the mass of people that surrounded. Here goes nothing.....

Once he was done the questions, he slips back through the doors and allows them to shut behind him

Once he was done the questions, he slips back through the doors and allows them to shut behind him. He then leans against them, taking a series of deep breathes and glad that experience was over.

He feels a pair of arms wrap around him from behind, a head on his shoulder, and instantly allows himself to lay back in the grasp. This was the reason for traveling all this way, right? 

"You did a great job," he hears quietly whispered in his ear, followed by a small kiss on the cheek. He then feels the hands make their way to his shoulders, rubbing them ever so slightly in relaxing every inch of him in the process. "Alex, talk to me...."

"I'm okay," he simply replies, not wanting to take a single thing away from the moment. This was everything for him. It was why he turned around in the arms, allowing their eyes to connect together. "I'm okay, Chase." He then leans in, allowing his lips to lightly brush across Chase's. "You don't have to worry about me, okay?" He then wraps his arm around Chase's hips. "Besides, you have a task to focus on today. I came all this way so that way I could celebrate with you. I want to be here, for you." 

"You're bullshitting me..." Chase follows the same process in wrapping his arms around Alex's hips in keeping him held close. "I know that your mind has a lot more than that going through it right now. I also have been in your shoes, done those media discussions, had those thoughts and apprehensions. You can talk to me." He then leans in, allowing their lips to connect once again. "I'm here for you just as much as you're always here for me." 

"I'm nervous about Wednesday. What if they say that it hasn't healed much, or at all? What if I am out of the car for another two, three weeks?" Chase nods his head, knowing what that feeling was like. It was why there were days he may have pushed himself a little too much in therapy in hopes of not hearing that when he went for a check-up.

"It is what it is, right? You have to listen to your body, the experts, and do what's right for you." He then takes a deep breath.. "Alex, so what if it's two or three more weeks? At the end of the day, your long term health is what matters. We also both know that once you do get behind the wheel of that car, you will do what you need to do with it - parking it in victory lane to put yourself in the playoffs. We'll just take it one step at a time." He then lightly brushes his lips across Alex's once again. "I love you, and I'm here for you - no matter what happens." 

"Has anyone ever told you how much I love you?" Chase smiles in response, glad that he could see the nerves escaping on Alex in the process. "You are amazing. Thank you, for everything." He then slowly lets him go, knowing if they stayed that way any longer, clothes would go missing and he knew that'd make Chase late for pre-race. Not what you wanted on your first day back to the track. "I love you, Chase. Good luck. Go do what you know how to do."

"That's the plan - knowing you're here..." Alex rolls his eyes, knowing that was just the extra flattery coming through. 

"I may be on the Ally pit box and supposed to be watching Josh, but we both know where my eyes will be." Chase didn't have any doubt in that, as he places one final kiss on his cheek before making his way up through the trailer and sneaking out.

Alex takes a deep breath with a smile, knowing no matter what he could face the world with the love around him. He only glances down when he feels a dog brush against his legs, kneeling down to pat him.

"You love him just as much I do, don't you?" Alex questions, getting a bark in response which causes him to laugh. "We got pretty lucky, Finn. Not only do we got Chase, but we got Ryan."