Chapter 18: Our High Roller

Chase comes back into the room, placing the refilled bowl of popcorn on the table before them.

"So I don't think Alex made the show," Chase says as he rejoins Ryan back on the couch. Ryan had offered to make the trip, but Chase was so stuck on doing what he could to move around on his leg throughout the week. He wanted to build as much strength as he could in knowing they were inching closer to the day. 

"He got a provisional," Ryan replies, catching Chase by surprise as he hadn't heard any conversations about those being available for the show. "No, it wasn't written anywhere on the qualifying format but there's three being given. Don't ask me - just glad he gets to play tonight." 

"Who came up with that ridiculous format?" Ryan almost smirked as he knew the response to be had immediately.

"Blame your teammate, and the guy you share a sponsor with." Chase knew he walked right into that one, catching the immediate reference to Kyle Larson and Brad Sweet. "I am picking Kyle tonight to win." 

"You're just going to keep rubbing it in, aren't you?" Ryan just smirks in response to the eye roll that he was being given. "I have to go with Rico. The speed he has shown tonight will carry him to success." 

"My dad would say to pick Sunshine......"

The pair get comfortable as the cars line up for the four-wide salute, followed by the green flag. Their eyes were stuck on the action through the field, each of them pointing out a couple close calls and sliders that caught their attention. They also both kept their eyes on Alex, seeing his steady progression up the leaderboard, spot by spot along the way. His efforts were rewarded, too, with a 16th place finish after starting 25th. 

After giving Alex some time in knowing he'd need it to debrief with the team, spend time with fans, and load everything into the trailer, they sent a couple text messages of congratulations on a solid night over to him. They then got him on FaceTime once Alex was comfortable, and ready for a good night sleep.

"So you will be home tomorrow?" Ryan double checks, not surprised by how much he was missing his company tonight. 

"Sometime in the afternoon, depending how early in the morning we roll out," Alex replies as he lets out a sigh in seeing Ryan and Chase so close cuddled together while he laid there alone. "Promise me you're not going to do anything stupid. I don't want any phone calls or surprises."

"I'll keep him out of trouble this time." Alex smiles as he was glad Chase had Ryan to take care of him when he couldn't always be there. However, it didn't replace his emptiness in knowing how they had talked about traveling together to these events on Tuesday nights with Chase being his biggest cheerleader.

"Surprises? That's another story," Chase comments, catching all of their attention in not knowing what to expect next. "I may have a surprise of my own brewing in the oven." 

"Do I know anything about it?" Ryan wonders, only to earn a shrug of the shoulders in response from the man beside of him. "You know I have my ways of getting secrets out of people. I could use each of those on you tonight." He then leans in, lightly brushing his lips across Chase's. "I'm sure Alex wouldn't mind a show." 

"Careful, we wouldn't be wanting to give Alex a hard-on without any release...." Alex couldn't help but already feel that coming, simply by the sight of those shirtless specimens on his phone right now. Now what was he supposed to do? "Actually, I felt really good in Chevrolet Simulator yesterday and today. We simulated 400 laps both days - I felt great without any issues at all. There is a lot of braking, but there wasn't a single complaint. Physical Therapy is also going great with all the exercises coming easier." 

"Chevrolet Simulator? So that's where you went without tellin-"

"So I go away to race as scheduled, and you let him out of sight without details?" Alex cuts him off, surprised. There had been hesitation for Alex to stick to his commitment of the series, not wanting to be out of sight of Chase. However, the constant assurance of no worries and I've got this under control from Ryan led him to make the trip anyway.

"Alex, how old am I?" Chase asks, sarcastic laced in his voice. If it had been a week after his surgery, he may have understood the concern. However, he was able to do everything else - including drive - so there shouldn't be this concern. "I can take care of myself." 

"Some would question that," Ryan offers, earning a chuckle from Alex who admittedly had to agree. There had certainly been some decisions that had been very questionable over the years. "I'm glad it felt great, though." 

"That's why we're surprising everybody tomorrow," Chase concludes, the smile on his face growing the minute in getting ready to reveal the news. They were going to be the first to know, followed by a conversation with his parents at breakfast in the morning, and then a trip to Hendrick Motorsports to tell Rick. "I am running Martinsville." 

"Seriously?" "Really?" "Are you sure with the amount of braking?" "Are you sure with the amount of pain you're going to feel?" "Shouldn't you build more muscle first?" "Aren't you worried about re-breaking the bone?" 

Those were the questions Chase expected to hear immediately after telling them those simple four words. He knew they'd be asked by the pair, which was good practice for his mother tomorrow as she'd probably be more demanding about it. 

He did get some of it from Alex, who went through the assurances in asking whether he had full doctor's approval - which was the case, actually having encouragement there in knowing the bone was fully healed. Alex did ask him about possible pain and weakness, to which Chase assured him he could fight through with ease.

"I excited for you!" Ryan lets out once the grilling session was done, followed by yet another kiss as he pulled Chase even tighter to him. "I know how much you've missed it. It will be great to have you back this weekend."

"I'm ready."