Chapter 19: NOCO 400

The boys get ready for the day, with Chase the first one down to the track in having the early appearance at the NAPA Tent.

"You handle pre-race, I'll handle post-race," Ryan comments as he and Alex go to head their separate ways, knowing the schedules they had in hand.

"What are you trying to say?" Alex questions, intrigued by the scenario placed in hand by Ryan. If Ryan was so certain he'd have time to attend to Chase, then that led only to one thought in his mind. "You don't believe that you got a shot at a clock today?" 

"If I get stuck in victory lane, then please by all means take over. I just figured it'd make sense as you normally run better than I do here, and you start not far from him so it'd be easy during driver introductions." Alex nods his head, accepting, having not worked out that math in his head when the original scenario was given to him.

Following their required appearances, and then the driver's meeting as it was, everyone gathered by the stage, awaiting for their name to be called. It was the first time since the morning that Alex had been able to lay eyes on Chase, slowly making his way over as he watched him carefully.

"Are you okay?" He questions, catching Chase's attention, simply getting a nod in response. It wasn't much, and it left a lot of questions for Alex in wondering if there was more going on beneath the surface. "We both know if it gets too bad, nobody would be mad at you if you got out of the ca-"

"We both know no matter what that's not happening," Chase cuts him off, knowing he had missed this too much to give up in his return behind the wheel. He was set to run all 400 laps, and do the best he could - just as any other week. It was why he told Josh Berry prior to the race that he should get comfortable in a watching capacity despite all the apprehensions from everyone around them. 

"I can't lie to you and say that you're wrong." Alex takes a deep breath, remembering his own experience last year with the concussion and being out of the car. "Mine was all in my head. With what happened, combined with my anxiety about what could happen, I was worried about everything that was possible. But I can say that any apprehensions or worries went away with just a single lap in the books because I felt at home and comfortable where I belonged. So if you're by chance feeling anything, just remember that." 

"Alex, you don't have to worry about me. I'm going to be fine." Chase then glances around, seeing if anyone was watching, knowing the cameras hadn't left him alone since he landed on the ground in Virginia. However, seeing a moment's peace, he wrapped an arm around and gave Alex an ass slap. "Just make sure you get that ass in gear and keep up because I'm headed to the front, and hope you're coming with me." 

It wasn't long before they were both introduced, with the crowd certainly expressing their thrill in having Chase back at the track and behind the wheel. The rest followed the mandatory process - ride in the truck around the track to wave to the crowd, a couple quick sponsor photos by the car, and quick pre-race conversation with Alan. All these things that he took for granted other weeks that felt great this week in knowing just how much he had missed it.

Strapped in the car, buckled down, he was ready to go - and make good on his promise. He had made the mistake in qualifying. He had cost the team a good starting spot. He was going to make it up to them. He was going to do whatever necessary to give them the performance they deserved.

However, the beginning laps did not see that happen - with the car not handling anything like he would have hoped. He even watched Alex make his way by him, knowing he was probably headed to the front. But he couldn't rotate the center of the corner for the life of him, feeling as though the rear-end was not settled in the track to co-operate. He let his feelings be heard over the radio to Alan and the guys, hopeful they could get it fixed.

Each trip down pit road, Alan elected for four tires - and an adjustment. He kept tweaking it a little bit, whether air pressure or wedge, trying to find the balance his driver needed. They showed a bit of speed in the second stage, but just enough to crack the top-20. How was a past winner, past series champion only able to run 20th while Alex was up inside the top-five?

The last stage of the race, though, it was where everything came together. It seemed whatever Alan did to the car was exactly what the doctor ordered, as it began doing everything he wanted. Whether he ran the low or high lane, he was able to rotate the corner - just like when he won there a couple years ago. It showed on the track, as he was able to cut underneath competitors, sometimes with a little bump required, making his moves to gain track position.

He found himself to Alex's bumper for 11th, rolling around the outside like it was nothing - perhaps knowing he owed him something later for not holding him up as he could have. He then got to Austin Dillon, cutting underneath him to make his way into the top-10. 

"Coming back to you," Eddie said on the radio, as Chase prepared to feel a bump to the rear of the car, though did not get anything. "Alex took care of that." Chase knew the thank you present for his teammate was growing by the minute.

His efforts paid off as he was able to cross the finish line in 10th. Ultimately, it became a solid day for the trio with Ryan battling inside the top-10 all day to finish seventh, with Alex right behind him in 11th. However, the results didn't matter.

All Chase wanted was out of the car, out of his firesuit, and an ice cold bottle of water.