Intermission 1

Hey! Sorry, my disabilities are acting up and I feel like crap. Still, I wanted to get something up since I still feel like writing a bit. And since my birthday is next Wednesday I wanted to write this chapter anyways. The next real chapter requires some research on my part since I've only read Jojolion once and I want to make sure I refresh my brain. I just don't have the energy for that right now. So instead have this short, fun side chapter! Once again I'm so sorry!

-x-

"This is...so stupid, you guys are being silly."

"Just sit there and be quiet."

"My birthday was months ago!"

"And we are the reason you didn't get to celebrate it," Kira smiled at you, "It's the least we can do after all the stress."

"...Do you even know how to bake a cake?"

"I assure you I can follow a recipe like anyone else."

Kira chuckled and motioned to a cookbook he had found in a box somewhere. It had been her mother's. It was old, one that her mom had spent money on subscriptions to put together in binders but still it had good recipes. She sat there with her arms crossed. She never liked people making a fuss on her. She liked planning her own birthdays so there weren't any surprises. Would she have liked a surprise birthday once in her life? Sure that would be fun. But from villains? No. That's too unpredictable. For a few weeks they wouldn't let her answer the door for packages, wouldn't let her in the guest bedroom to help put together the new beds that had arrived, and even Dio was being tight lipped around her, giving her more space. It would have been nice, if it didn't make her feel so anxious. Just what could they have been ordering that they think she would like? 

"Stop that."

She looked down and she had been digging her nails into her arms out of habit again. She huffed and relaxed her hands, setting them on the table to mess with the cup in front of her instead. After a while, she was sent to go sit in her room with Dio, who kept her company. He just smirked at her if she tried to ask anything about what they planned. It was about dusk, probably for Dio's sake, when Pucci came to get them. 

Exiting the room, she noticed the hallway had been decorated with balloons and the floor sprinkled with flower petals. All she could think was "I'm not cleaning that up" and it showed on her face. Dio chuckled at this, highly amused that she wasn't awed by it like most would be. Following the petals, led to the opening of the front where more balloons were spread out. The kitchen was nicely prepared with a dinner, the cake in the middle with candles ready to be lit. It was...beautiful to say the least. Her expression softened. Everyone was dressed so nicely and she could tell there was a lot of work that went into this. Valentine pulled out the head chair and she sat down to be pushed in. 

"Make a wish," Diavolo said softly, "Just not for us to be gone."

She chuckled a bit at this as he lit the candles and she leaned over blowing them out. She was thankful they all seemed to agree to not sing 'Happy Birthday' but also kind of felt she missed out on hearing them attempt it together. Kars turned and produced one gift for her. A small box she could tell was some kind of jewelry. At her look, Diego spoke up. 

"It's only money from what I got working," he assured her.

Feeling only slightly better, but still awkward someone got her something, she took the gift and unwrapped it. Inside was a silver necklace with a pendant with her first initial on it. A red ruby was embedded into it near the top by the holder. It was a very beautiful and thoughtful gift. 

"You don't wear a lot of jewelry," Kars said, "But maybe you can wear this from time to time when you feel like it."

"Thank you...I really do love it," she said, almost tearing up, "Thank you for everything."

The rest of the night was oddly calm and fun. Drinks and board games were played, no one really fought, and cake was eaten. For a late birthday, it was the best one she had had in a long time.