1890s

Google was my super best friend in this chapter XD This chapter is extra long as there was a lot to cover

-x-

The ride was heavily tense and quiet, aside from the soft music she was playing. Diego was looking out the window, and Valentine was doing the same. Every time she tried to get the bravery to say anything, she would get such a hard look from Diego that she lost her grit. And she had to go sit down and eat with them? In public? Boy what had started out as a semi-decent day, albeit surprisingly, with Pucci, was turning sour quickly. The only thing Valentine had said was about the music so she was just playing classical right now. Not that she minded, but it was really making her want to sleep even more. Suddenly, without even asking them, she just pulled into a Starbucks. 

"What do you think you're doing," Valentine asked, looking at the short line of cars, "I didn't approve this stop."

"Look," she said as she got her card out, "I'm super tired and need some kind of coffee or energy to keep us from crashing. This will take ten minutes tops."

Diego raised an eyebrow before speaking as well. 

"A coffee does sound good," he stated, "But what is a 'Frappuccino'?"

"It's like...a coffee milkshake I guess. Really cold, really sweet."

"...I'll try one, just the coffee flavor."

She was shocked he would go for it, and looked at Valentine through the rearview mirror, him gazing at the pull up menu as they waited to order. 

"I'll take my normal," he said after a moment, relenting to the idea. 

She found herself smiling a little, for whatever reason. Maybe because she had actually got them to be agreeable for the first time since entering the car. She pulled up and ordered her usual, then theirs. 

"$5 for a coffee," Valentine said, staring at her like she was the one who made the prices, "That would buy 2 months worth of coffee in our time! Maybe more!"

"Yes well, inflation and the stock market crashing would have a lot to do with that," she shrugged, obviously used to it, "Want to hear how much milk and eggs cost? Bread?"

Valentine grimaced, the look unusual on him, and just stonily shook his head. Diego, however, seeing the other man's discomfort smirked and spoke up. 

"Let's just start with how much $5 could get you now versus back then," he said. 

"Well...hold on I don't know the inflation off the top of my head."

She got on her phone, a device that seemed to have all the answers on it as she was constantly looking everything up on it. Could it be useful to him? Questions for later. She searched for a moment. 

"Well this says," she began, "$5 back then is equivalent to $167.64. So counting that in, it might pay the electric bill or a small amount of groceries, depending on where you bought them of course. There's things like sales and coupons, but for me and just me, that would be maybe two weeks of food if I was smart about it."

Diego gawked at her at the huge difference in money. He had to know, leaning over to look at her phone too, seeing something called 'Google' on there. 

"How much would a million back then be now," he asked, "Ask the person on your phone."

She wasn't about to explain that what he said was so far from the truth it was hilarious, but she knew the culture shock might hit both of them. So she just typed it in, him cocking his head slightly as her phone made noises similar to a typewriter.