22: hunter

I fucked up. I really really fucked up.

I should have told Logan. I really should have told her. I'm looking out the window of the car as Logan chats with my parents who to no surprise except her, adore Logan. Mom thinks it's hilarious how quickly she checks me into my place, but more than that, she likes that I'm myself instead of the asshole I've been impersonating.

Dad even had a conversation with me that I really wasn't ready for, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I'm leaning over the railing of the deck to listen to the ocean. I'd prefer to be on the roof, but there's no reason to freak everyone out. It's normally a sneak out in the middle of the night when no one else is awake to be alone with your thoughts.

I hear Dad walking up behind me before he says anything, copying my position to my left. "There's nothing like having the ocean in your backyard," He says calmly.

"I miss it." I admit as a breeze ruffles through my short hair. I do miss being able to surf whenever I wanted, run on the beach, or just listen to the waves. There's something peaceful about it.

"Well I hope wherever you end up, you'll have a happy place there."

Dad's not wrong. I don't know where I'm going to get drafted. JJ was drafted by the Texans and had no idea that's where he was going until he got the call. It scared everyone shitless having him go to a new part of the country with no one he knew except Marley after everything that happened, but he's made a life for himself there. Henry signed a contract renewal two years ago that locked him in for the next five so there's no shot in hell the Panthers are looking for someone to ride the bench. Uncle Owen would never be allowed to draft me either. It'd look like favoritism on top of Henry already having married into the family.

So I have no expectations because then I can't get upset if it doesn't go the way I want it to.

"Thanks Dad, sure I'll have a happy place no matter where it is." I shrug, noting that if we weren't leaving for the airport within the hour, I'd probably try to go surfing. The weather is almost perfect for it.

"Do you have any idea where you want to go? The draft is getting closer." He adds subtly and I shrug again.

"Not really. It's not like I really get to pick anyway. I just want to play." The game is like a drug. Once you start, it's like ripping off a limb to quit.

"So," Dad clears his throat, tapping the wooden railing. "How does Logan feel about all of that? I mean I don't know how serious you are about her, but I'm guessing pretty serious if you're bringing her on this trip. I'm sure she has an idea of where she wants to live after graduation."

"New York is where she wants to end up, but we're not together, I think? Besides, Logan and I don't talk about football. She hates it because of her family, but I don't see why she'd care where I'm drafted."

I can feel his eyes on me, "You don't know if you're together or not? Have you asked her to be your girlfriend?"

"Well no, but—" I'm cut off by my father laughing at me. I personally don't find it very amusing, but to each their own.

"Well then she's not your girlfriend. Maybe I'm just getting fucking old, but I don't understand you kids. The way your mom talked about the way you looked at her and she looked at you made it sound like you found the girl you'll buy flowers for."

"Oh Jesus." I groan, "Logan's just my friend. I needed backup if I'm coming on this trip."

Dad sighs, shaking his head. "Hunter, your mom and I are so far from perfect as we've demonstrated amazingly these last seven years, but you don't have to go if you don't want to."