26: hunter

"I don't understand why you would feel the need to say that to her!" I hear Bailey say loudly from inside the kitchen. Mirabelle looks at me hesitantly and I have a bad feeling about this.

"You want to check or do you want me to do it?" She asks quietly as Kaitlyn starts to speak.

I really don't want to check, but I'm guessing this has something to do with Logan. Fuck, I really hope it doesn't. "I'll go. Will you make sure everyone else stays outside?"

She rests a hand on my shoulder, "Yeah. Just try to think before talking or I don't know, do whatever your therapist would tell you to do."

I'm not really sure what Susan would tell me to do, but she'd probably encourage any conversation with Bailey than the silence between us.

Bailey's hands are braced over his head as Kaitlyn drags her hands over her face. "Look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said it, but you don't know what it's like to be the one that Hunter hides stuff from!"

"You're right, I don't because I'm the one that hid shit from him! I know better than anyone what it feels like to be on both ends of it. It doesn't give you the right to mess with his relationship, even if you think you had the right intentions doing it." He says to Kaitlyn as ice water runs through my veins. Bailey turns, his face softening when he sees me in the doorway. "Hunter—"

Think before talking.

That's easier said than done.

"What did you say Kaitlyn?" I ask, my tone harsher than probably necessary.

"I said something to Logan, but I'll apologize to her."

Bailey crosses his arms over his chest, "And?"

"I'm sorry Hunter. I'll handle it."

"No, I will handle it. Why exactly did you feel the need to say something to her?"

She turns to face me, "Because you're doing the same shit to her that you did to me. I saw Logan's face when she met us and I saw yours. I'm guessing you left out some details that paint you in an unfavorable light and I'm sure there's other things you're still not telling her. She deserves to know that this is a pattern of behavior with you."

"Are you fucking serious right now?" I ask incredulously in disbelief with her right now. "Why the hell do you even care? We're not friends anymore. That's been made clear so you don't know me anymore. You don't know what I do or what my patterns of behavior are anymore. Just because you're engaged to my brother and we dated a million years ago does not give you the right to interfere with my life." I snap, partially because I am proving her right. But I'm not the person I was when I was with Kaitlyn. I tried to tell Logan last night and she didn't want to know. She adamantly refused being told so it's not the same. I didn't wait until the last possible second to tell her like before.

Kaitlyn drags her hands over her face. "Look, I shouldn't have said anything. I know that, but if I had the opportunity to go back to when everything first happened to warn myself that you weren't the person I thought I knew, then I would. That's why I said something. If you've honestly changed, then good for you both. It shouldn't matter that I said something. She's not going to break up with you over it if Logan actually cares about you, and if she does, then you deserve better than her."

I see red. That's the only way to explain what happens next.

"At least I've run out of brothers that she could leave me for." I can't believe I actually said it until her jaw drops and it processes in my brain that the words were in fact spoken aloud.

"Hey!" Bailey exclaims, stepping forward. "I get that you're pissed and hurt because I'm not exactly happy about this either, but don't talk to her like that."