Chapter 7

-Jackson-

I'm waiting by the elevator in the Warrick Building that houses Atwood Collective among many others when I hear the front door again. I look over to see Ginger strolling up to the doorman and tossing him a white paper bag.

"They had your favorite scones Lenny."

"Oh thank you Miss Ginger!"

Ginger strolls up to me wearing a black pea coat with a hunter green dress underneath. Her bright red hair is pulled into a low, wavy ponytail. She looks every bit the chic, beautiful New Yorker and I can't help but smile as she approaches me. She pulls a coffee out of her drink holder and shoves it into my hand.

"Hopefully you take your coffee black," she says with a slight smile.

I can tell she's still cautious around me.

"I do, how did you know?"

"Lucky guess," she says pulling out her phone and scrolling.

As we get in the elevator, she puts her phone in her purse.

"So, what's your schedule like today?" She asks.

"Well, I'm sure you have other clients to attend to so I can keep working on the presentation while you get caught up on other items, then we can fine tune this afternoon," I suggest.

"Great, then we can run through the presentation tomorrow before we present to Gerald and Liam," she says. "It's weird to think how much has changed in the last 24 hours."

She pauses and pinches her eyebrow, clearly a nervous habit of hers that I find annoyingly adorable.

"It'll be fine Ginger," I say reassuringly.

She looks at me like I just spit in her coffee.

"I know..." she almost seems offended that I could sense her apprehension.

The elevator lands and we both step off and head toward Ginger's office.

"Are you still okay with me camping out in here? I can certainly work in a conference room or perhaps you'd prefer it if I was in a janitor's closet," I joke.

She gives me a glare and eventually breaks into a reluctant smile then chuckles.

"What's so funny?" I inquire.

"Oh something about you being in a janitor's closet in that nice suit makes me laugh," she says.

"You think my suit's nice eh?"

She gives me a spectacular side eye as she slides her coat off and hangs it up. I notice some bruises on her arm.

"Did you get in a fight? And if so, is there a video?" I ask. She looks up confused and I point to my own arm. She looks down at hers.

"Oh, yeah, that's from, uh, kickboxing," she says as she sits down and starts up her iMac.

"Wait, did you say kickboxing?!" I ask.

Her eyes dart to mine.

"Yes, why?"

I start laughing, I can't help it. I see her cheeks go red.

"What is so funny?" She says, crossing her arms across her chest.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it's just funny to me. Most people do yoga, spin class, zumba, and you choose to literally kick asses."

She blushes a little harder but quickly recovers. She raises her eyebrow.

"You'll do well to remember that."