Chapter 20

-Ginger-

I hear Jackson's door close next door to mine and I fall backwards on to my bed. I'm both exhausted and energized and I feel really good about how the first day went.

I decide to call and chat with Nadia for a bit.

"Hi babe! How was the first day?" I check my watch and realize it's 8pm in New York so she's likely at the bar.

I sigh.

"It was good! Really good. And exhausting," I say, peeling my clothes off while I hold the phone between my ear and shoulder.

"I can't wait to see the shots. How is everyone? Callum? Jackson?"

I smile and roll my eyes even though she can't see me.

"So far, so good," I say. "There was a couple of weird moments last night but I'll have to give you details when I have more time."

"Ooooo you know I hate it when you leave me in anticipation!"

"I know, but I should get going, tell Simon I said hi okay? I miss you guys already."

"We miss you too, we'll talk soon babe."

I change into leggings and a chunky sweater dress. I also put thick, wool socks on and check my appearance in a mirror before heading back downstairs.

Everyone is still in their respective corners of the house except for Jackson who is chopping vegetables on the kitchen island. I smile at how cute he looks doing something so simple and normal.

"Well well, what do we have here?"

Jackson looks up with a gorgeous smile on his face. He's still in jeans but changed into a long sleeve gray shirt and has a beanie on.

I sit at the island and prop my elbows on it while watching him slice tomatoes and lettuce.

"I didn't picture you as the cooking type."

He looks up at me again with an eyebrow raised.

"My family is Italian, it's impossible not to know how to cook in an Italian family."

"Ahh so that's what you are," I say.

He chuckles while he moves on to herbs and garlic.

"So you were wondering huh?"

I shrug, wishing I hadn't revealed that. How does he pick up on every little thing?

"Need a hand?"

"I think I got it, I was just going to make a big salad to go with the burgers."

I rest my face on my hands and watch Jackson work the knife with speed and precision. It's almost mesmerizing and we sit in a comfortable silence.

"You tired?" He asks.

"Yeah, but also amped. I think I'll sleep better tonight."

Jackson nods then tosses all the veggies into a big bowl and places the bowl and the dressing he just made in the fridge.

"Have a celebratory drink with me?" He says resting his hands on the island.

I smile and nod.

We go outside with the bottle of whiskey from the night before and pour a few glasses. We're standing side by side, resting our elbows on the bannister of the deck and looking out at the trees. The sun is still up but evening is creeping in to the serenity all around us. Croaking frogs and a breeze rustling through the trees are the main sounds.