Chapter 28

I came out of the shower and got my clothes on and started blow drying my hair when my phone ran and my mom was calling me.

i turned the blow dryer off and I picked up the phone and put it to my ear.

"Hey ellie bear, I got your text. that storm seems pretty bad are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, we found a motel" I said.

"four words a parent wants to hear.....I'm kidding your with the boys. im sure everything is fine" she said.

"mhmmm" I said.

"or not?" She asked.

"do you remember when we talked about you and dad? about being in love?" I asked.

"yes" She said.

"how did you know you wernt in love with him anymore?" I asked.

"a part of me will always love your father, but it's different now. I think love has different season, depending where you are in life." She said.

"your talking like a writer mom. what does that mean?" I asked.

"Well think of it like, are you thinking about what you have together or what you could have in the future." She said.

"your still young. I want you to have lots of loves before you settle down with someone. you have to test things out. be safe baby." She said.

"I love you mom" I said.

"I love you to ellie" She said and I hung up.

I came out the bathroom and both boys were sitting at the two seated table. Conrad threw me a sandwich I a box and I examined it.

"just so you know we have no idea how long those have been in the vending machine" jere said.

"noted" I said throwing it back to him as conrad got blankets from the closet.

"normally I'd argue about sleeping on the floor but I definitely saw a roach earlier so have at it boys" I said getting under the bed covers and both boys chuckle.

It was like 45 minutes later and I was still awake.

"ellie?" conrad asked.

"I didn't mean it. what u said earlier I didn't mean it. I still want you. of course I do." He said.

"conrad." I whispered even though jere was dead asleep snoring.

"don't say anything. Not right now. I just wanted you to know that- that I still love you." He said and I took a shaky breath.

I woke up in the morning and sat up in the bed. I looked over and both boys were still asleep.

I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to wash my face and get changed and ready.

I threw on my finch hoodie and fixed my hair. I sighed and went outside and conrad was laying down asleep but jere was gone. I went outside and looked around but he was nowhere and neither was the car.

did he really leave? I pulled out my phone and he didn't answer.

"Ellie hey" jere said walking over with a bag

"Hey! I thought you left" I said.

"I just got breakfast, thought you would be hungry." He said handing me the bag.

"I wanted to talk to you. you were right. Conrad told me-" I said.

"Wait stop. Spare me this conversation if you pick conrad." He said.

"Jere stop." I said putting the food bag down.

"look at me." I said and he did.

"what am I thinking?" i asked him moving closer.