Chapter 14

I pulled up to the house and wiped my tears as I turned off the car and went inside.

I walked into the house and I saw my mom on the couch.

"Ellie we need to talk" She said to me.

"I'm really tired mom" I said putting the keys down.

'Sit down." She demanded and I sat on the couch.

"Your guidance counselor emailed me. You and bellys grades have dropped. You got kicked of track." She said to me.

"Yeah Susannah died remember?" I asked.

"You don't get to use her death as an excuse."

"You were never here! I get it you were there for the boys but you can't blame me for what happened while you were gone." I said to her.

"This isn't about blame. It's about the responsibility you have. " She said.

"You wanna talk about responsibility? You won't even promote your book because you can't stand to talk about Susannah! You can't complain about my track when you didn't go to a single meet! Steven had to pick me up. I waited all year for you to step up and be a parent. You gave up way before I did." I said standing up and walking upstairs.

I went into my room and started going through my old photos from last summer.

I knew I'd lose Susannah eventually I just didn't know I'd lose all of them. But now their all gone.

I shut my phone off and set it on my nightstand and turned off my lamp trying to sleep but I couldn't stop thinking about Jeremiah. And then I remember Steven's speech.

Whatever you want to happen do it. I picked my phone back up and turned on the lamp.

I looked for Jeremiah's number and tool a deep breath before I called him. He's probably not even gonna answer. He probably just hates me now.

"Ellie?"

"Hey Jeremiah. I'm so glad-"

"Are you with conrad?"

"No? Why would I be with conrad?"

"I don't know I just thought-"

"What's going on?"

"He's gone. He won't answer my calls or text. I'm gonna go to brown tomorrow and see if I can track him down"

I can't get Susannah back, but maybe this is my chance to get the boys back.

"Okay. But I'm going with you." I said.

--------------

I woke up earlier than my mom so I could pack a bag and go to brown. I got changed and grabbed my car keys and hopped in.

I sent Taylor a text and asked if she could cover for me and say I was at her house for a couple of days.

I pulled up to brown University and called jere as I was getting out the car.

"Hey" he said.

"Hey I'm here."

"Where?"

"On campus. Somewhere?"

"K cool meet me at Conrad's dorm." He said hanging up before I could answer.

I saw Jeremiah so I ran over to him. "Hey" I said as he started walking so I followed.

"Hey." He said back.

"So have you heard anything from conrad?" I asked him.

"Nope won't answer my text or calls. But it's a good thing your here so you can show me what floor and room He's in." He said.