Chapter 11

Me and belly entered the area where all the girls get ready as I hung my dress up.

"Ellie! I saved you a spot" shayla said seating me next to Nicole.

"Nicole im sorry about conrad. I don't like him I swear." I told her.

"It's fine, I'm here with someone else. College guy" she said with a smile and I smiled back at her.

"But I do wanna tell you Conrad is bellys date. Jere is here with me so that left her with connie." I told her.

"It's fine. I don't even care" she said and I continued doing my makeup.

I faced the mirror and started doing my makeup and hair. I changed into my dress and took a final look in the mirror before getting up and grabbing my bouquet of roses on the table and following the rest of the girls.

I stood behind gigi in the line and they announced her name. I saw Jeremiah across the stage and I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Elizabeth Conklin, daughter of John Conklin and Laurel park." The woman said as I walked up and met Jeremiah at the arch. We linked arms and I looked at his eyes.

"Shes a student at Chesterbrook high where she is captain of the track team. This summer she raised five thousand dollars to the woman's homeless shelter" the woman said as a camera man took our picture and we walled down to the table our family was at and stood in front of it.

After me they called belly and then all the other girls behind us in line.

I gave my mom my bouquet as I went back my jere and stood by him. He just studied me and I looked at him.

"You look beautiful. And I wanna kiss you right now" he said whispering.

"Then do it. Who cares what everyone thinks." I said as he smiled and gave me a peck on the lips.

"Thats all I get?" I asked jokingly.

"Gotta keep it formal" he said with a laugh and shrugged.

Conrad was staring at us and I made eye contact and he looked away.

I sat down at the table because it was time to introduce our escorts.

Upbeat music started playing and they started dancing. I love watching jere dance to music like this. He's so cute and funny and I can't stand it enough of how good he looks in his suit. His gorgeous curly hair. His eyes. Oh and did I mention his curly hair? I love it. And I think I might love him.

A little after the boys dance I couldn't jere and I looked around but I had a sigh of relief when I saw him come back through the doors.

His eyes were a little red along with his nose. We ran over to the table and set something down the ran over to me.

"What's wrong jere?" I asked him.

"I'll tell you after the dance." He said.

"Your gonna be okay. Your the one who told me that. Whatever it is it's gonna be alright. I'll always be here for you jere." I told him.

He nodded as I gave him a kiss. And he smiled at me. I can't get over this boy.

We started dancing and it felt just like I wanted it to. I feel safe in his touch. When I'm with him I can be myself and that's only a fraction of what I love about him.

Jeremiah twirled me around and I stared into his eyes the whole dance. He leaned me down for dip and kissed me.

"I think I missed some of the steps" he said to me.

"You were great." I said grabbing his hand.

"I'm glad. I'm glad it was me you chose. I'm glad I'm here with you dancing" he said to me with a smile.

"You do something to me jere. And I love it." I said as I gave him a hug.

"I have to take care of something" he said to me and I nodded.

"Conrad!" Jere said and conrad ran over to us.

"It's about mom conrad we need to talk" jere said.

"We'll talk about this later okay jere?" Conrad told him.

"No. We need to talk now." He said.

"It's okay." Conrad said to him."You already know." Jere said with his eyes watering.

"Youve known this whole fucking time and didn't tell me?" Jere asked him.

"Jere.." Conrad said.

Jere tensed up and swung at conrad. My hands flew over my mouth and belly ran over next to me.

Jeremiah dove at Conrad's legs shoving him to the ground and punching him in the gut.

Susannah and Laurel ran over to us. "Stop it! Both of you stop it" Susannah yelled at them as both boys got up to their feet.

"What is going on?" Laurel asked.

"We know mom. We both know." Conrad said.

"Wait know what?" Me and belly asked

I'm not the crying type but when I found out Susannah had cancer I lost it.

"How could I be so stupid?" I asked my mom crying.

"Why would you feel stupid honey?" She asked.

"Susannah had cancer and I spent all summer long thinking about myself!" I told her.

"Thats how she wanted it baby. That's exactly how she wanted it."

"What about you mom? She's your best friend. You had to live with this secret." Belly asked.

Our mom started crying as I got up from the bed and wiped my tears and went downstairs to check in on jere.

I looked through the doors to my mom's office and peeked through.

"Can't you just try mom?" Jere asked.

"Baby.." She said to him.

"Conrad help me out! Why won't you say anything?" Jere asked him now crying.

I hate seeing jere cry and I hate that Susannah had cancer and we didn't hang out with her enough.

"Please mom. For us." Conrad begged.

I went back to my room and I heard jeres door shut. I went outside in the hall and knocked on the door.

"Jere?" I asked.

He opened the door and he was crying.

"Ellie I- she's not gonna be okay. She's not gonna get better." He said.

"I know Jeremiah I know." I said as he grabbed me in a hug wrapping his arms around my torso and my arms around his neck.

He buried his head into my shoulder and held me tight. "Cmon why don't you lay in bed" I suggested.

"Can we go to yours. It's better" he asked. I nodded as I grabbed his hand and we went into my bedroom. He shut the door and he lied down and I layed next to him.

I rested my head on his chest and he played with my hair.

"Me and Conrad convinced her to go through treatment. She said there was a slim to none chance but that's still a small percentage she could be semi okay." He told me.

"Thats good. That's great. And I hate seeing you cry jere. You mean so much to me. Your gonna get through this. And if you don't want me there for it I won't be. But if you do, I'll be by your side every second of the way." I told him.

"I think I love you ellie." He blurted.

I looked up at him and pecked his lips. "I think I love you to."

There were times this summer where I didn't know my own heart. But I do know one thing for sure. That no matter what happens next, I will always come back to this house, to these people.