A new chapter in life.

The changes in Cale's behavior that didn't stop even months after his mother died soon became something the servants of the Henituse estate became used to. They ignored Cale just like he ignored them and did their best not to approach him, no matter what. It wasn't just because they felt awkward being around that child, but also because of the head butler that was also the young boy's personal butler.

With each passing day, Cale seemed to become colder and colder and more distanced. He spent less time with Ron and Beacrox – actually, it was rare to see him in the kitchen nowadays.

While Ron and Beacrox couldn't stop worrying about the young child that was only eight years old, they were also busy. Busy with wedding preparations. Ron, as the head butler had no other choice but to busy himself with Deruth's fairly idiotic wedding plans. Of course it was simply his own opinion, but for someone who was supposed to mourn for his dead wife's death so much, Deruth had a bit too much fun with that new woman of his.

Ron, of course, didn't dislike Violan at all. She was a wonderful woman, she looked gorgeous, had an amazing intellect and seemed kind enough, but Deruth didn't deserve her. Also, she couldn't rival Jour Thames-Henituse in any way to him.

Maybe it were just old feelings he had because he spent so much time with Jour and Cale, but his loyalty, even though it should lie with Deruth, was with Cale.

"Ron, could you wait for a second?"

Ron wanted to frown but controlled his expression as much as he could. Instead, he smiled benignly at the woman standing in front of him with a small smile. While he had some sort of a smile on his face as well, his eyes were sharp and cold. Violan's smile didn't disappear, even though she noticed.

"I wanted to ask you about Deruth's son."

As soon as Violan mentioned Cale Ron's benign smile became a bit thicker while his eyes got even colder and sharper. Violan couldn't meet the butler's eyes any longer and looked at the painting on the wall instead.

"What do you want to ask about, Ma'am?"

Violan frowned a bit. Ma'am, that title sounded like something one would address his superior.

"Ron, please call me Miss."

Ron didn't react at that, which made Violan sigh.

"Well, Deruth still didn't introduce us and I haven't seen him around at all. I just wanted to know...does that son exist?"

Ron's benign smile disappeared upon hearing that incredibly rude question. The question wasn't actually rude, but it sounded rude to Ron, who was there as Cale almost died with his mother.

"He lives here as well, Ma'am, if that's all-"

"He lives here?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

Violan frowned at that. During her and Basen's stay in the Henituse mansion they haven't even once seen someone else besides Deruth who lived here. Of course the servants didn't count. Violan who was told that Deruth indeed had a son by Deruth himself, wondered whether that son of his had died together with his first wife and that the boy's existence had been a delusion of Deruth's. But now that she learned that he was indeed real- it made her feel iffy.

"How come I haven't seen him?"

Ron's benign smile was back, though it looked a bit bitter.

"He doesn't go outside of his room lately, Ma'am."

Violan's frown deepened.

"How come?"

Ron shook his head, signalizing that he didn't know or didn't want to answer. The old butler actually knew the reason; the young child still mourned the death of his mother and the arrival of a new woman and a new boy who seemed to be the woman's son made him feel replaceable. Actually, Cale probably thought that he and his mother had been replaced by his father, and to speak honestly, it pretty much seemed like that.