60

Felix's POV

10 years later

I make my way to the kitchen, the same kitchen where Hyunjin had prepared that delicious steak with rice and salad the first time he brought me to his home, the same kitchen where he had forced me to eat grapefruit after an anorexia attack when I was younger.

I reach my husband and wrap my arms around his waist from behind while he cooks dinner for the three of us. I smile; I love Hyunjin, I love every beautiful or challenging moment I've shared with him. And now, I am happy. I have a family and a bright future ahead of me.

"Dad!" I feel a little hand tugging on my pants, and I turn around with a smile. It's Hana, our daughter.

I crouch down to her level and look at her. Despite being adopted, she seems like the happiest child in the world. She smiles at me, and I smile back, equally joyful. My eyes well up with tears, and suddenly I'm overcome with happiness. My heart responds to those emotions, beating faster, a rapid but content rhythm, as if it's happier now too.

"Dad, why are you crying?"

"Because I'm happy," I whisper. I had a terrible childhood, abused by my father and beaten by my mother, bullied for years, I was in a coma for 10 months... Yet now, all I can do is smile. Once and for all, I am happy.

I love my life, I love myself, I love Hyunjin, and I love our daughter. I don't need anything else. I try to wipe away the tears, but as soon as I stand up again, Hyunjin looks at me and cups my cheeks with his hands, smiling.

He looks at me, and I look back at him. His eyes shine as they always do, that dark color that manages to sparkle even in the darkness. He presses his lips to mine, and once again, the butterflies in my stomach flutter happily, that sensation that never faded over the years.

"Yuck!" Hana covers her eyes with her hands and I burst out laughing, hugging Hyunjin and interrupting the kiss. Hyunjin caresses my cheek and returns to the stove, continuing to prepare the cake, which immediately emits a sweet aroma.

I would want to meet the me from the past, the one who wanted to die more than anything, the one who believed love was only a painful illusion, the one who had lost all hope. And I would want to meet him, just to embrace him and tell him that everything would be alright, that one day, an angel from heaven would take his hand and save him from the hell he had fallen into, would heal the wounds on his heart and give him a life, the life the old Felix knew he didn't have.

My angel's name is Hyunjin, and he's my husband. I love him more than anything...

I walk toward the bathroom, but I stop halfway in the hallway. Hyunjin has hung up pictures of us, framed. I cover my mouth with my hands, choking back tears. My legs start trembling, and my fingers tremble with the emotions those memories evoke in me.

There's one from our wedding, as we kissed happily just after exchanging rings. Another tear rolls down my cheek as I try to contain my emotions. A picture of us in Paris, with sincere smiles on our faces and the Eiffel Tower majestically towering behind us. Another tear falls, wetting my skin.

Another photo depicts us before the incident at the nightclub during our time in Jeju. And other photos, capturing all the moments we've shared, from the most recent ones back to our high school days—just two ordinary young boys with a life ahead of them. So lost in admiring those treasures, Hyunjin, from behind, wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me close to his chest.

"You had them printed and framed?" I whisper, overwhelmed, tears streaming down my face.

"These are too beautiful memories not to be displayed, don't you think?" he whispers in my ear, and I nod.

"Shall we watch the sunset from the terrace?" he suggests.

We go out onto the terrace and take our seats in the chairs, with Hana sitting on my lap, observing as the sun paints the sky with warm hues.

"Hana, look how beautiful. The sun is leaving, making way for the darkness, but it's a reminder that, despite the dark moments, the sun always rises. There will always be better times, capable of making you love life like never before." I speak gently, holding Hyunjin's hand. He looks at me and smiles wholeheartedly.

Time seemed to stand still in that moment, allowing us to truly experience it, giving us another indelible memory etched into our hearts.

"Hyunjin," I call his name, gazing at him tenderly.

In this moment, with the sun slowly disappearing below the horizon, our hearts resonate with love, hope, and the power to face any challenge together.

"Do you remember how you confessed?" I smile, looking at him with eyes brimming with love and trust.

Despite an uncertain future, Hyunjin and I know that our love will remain strong and unbreakable, like the sun that sets behind the horizon but continues to shine in the night sky.

"With a Red Rose," he smiles, melting my heart.

Yes,

A Red Rose.