Chapter Forty-One

Alec didn't say anything about what happened with Garrett or what I saw at the warehouse and it's probably for the best right now.

The only thing that matters is that he came back and and that he's okay. Everything else is a matter for another day, even if I do wish that everything could just be put on pause for a moment. I want nothing more than to stay curdled up in bed without there being any fear of what's coming tomorrow.

I thought once he came back I'd be able to settle and easily be able to fall asleep but I just can't seem to fully shut off all I can do is lay here staring up at the ceiling listening to his steady breathing whilst I think about how much of a mess everything is, how much of a mess everything has been for as long as I can remember.

By the time I wake up I feel as though I've barely slept for 5 minutes even the feeling of being wrapped up in a pair of arms doesn't do anything to brighten my mood. As my eyes flutter open I know it's Lorenzo straight away by his tattoo'd chest. "You're not the one I fell asleep with" I half chuckle in an attempt to ease the heaviness that I can feel in me even as I snuggle myself further into his chest.

"Well I'm so sorry to disappoint you princess I'll go get your favourite back shall I?" He laughs but there's no real malice in his voice because he and I both know there's no case of any of them being my favourite.

I don't say anything though I don't have any words today, none I can put together to form a sentence that won't show exactly how broken I feel right now.

"Are you okay? Do you want to talk about yesterday" he asks softly and I shake my head.

He goes to release me but I groan and wrap my arms around him to keep him in place. "I don't want to move today I just want to stay here and hide away from everything" I groan

When he sighs I know there's no possibility of that happening. "Everyone's waiting downstairs princess we need to talk about what we found out from Garrett" he says softly and much to my dismay he pulls away.

I don't even attempt to look at him because I know exactly what expression I'm going to be met with instead I burrow myself under the covers. "I don't want to know Lorenzo I can't take anymore of this. I just want to be alone" I say and the truth is I don't want to be alone I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

I can feel the bed move as he gets up without saying a word and he retreats from the room. I feel bad for shutting him out but I just need a while to pull myself out of this and this time I need to do it alone. They spend so much time trying to piece my broken parts back together it's not fair on them and I can't keep letting them do it.

It's taxing on them I know it is. They have enough going on right now that having to deal with me isn't going to help.

When I hear the door open again and animated footsteps coming towards me I know it's Freddie even before he pounces on the bed and tucks himself under the covers so we're laying face to face. Of course he has that beaming smile on his face thats sometimes enough to pull me out but not today.

Just looking at him I have to hold back the tears I can feel threatening to break free.

"Are we hiding away from the world today?" He says softly as he strokes my face.

I nod and tuck my head down.

He lets out a little relieved sigh and. "Perfect I'm still too wounded to get back to work yet anyways" he lies and it makes me feel even worse. He would lay here with me all day to comfort me, they all would. They'd put everything aside to make sure I was okay, giving me anything I needed without asking for anything in return. And I nothing to give in return just this broken shell of a person that can't hold it together for more than a couple of days without feeling like I'm completely falling apart.