7. Amyra

September, Thursday, 29th

"Please, learn something from Amyra. She has full marks in biology!! It's so simple, how can you guys mess up like that? This was the easiest paper I'd ever seen..."

And botany mam began again. This was the everyday schedule after a test result was declared. Each and every teacher, whenever their lecture was due after a test, took me as the ideal specimen and compared everyone.

It was so embarassing. I mean, okay, I realised that it was so better being complimented instead of criticised. But still, it made me feel like an alien. And I hated to be the center of attention.

My gaze fell onto Vedraj and his friends, who seemed to be completely beyond the teacher's explanation. He was instead scribbling something into his book, and then nudged his partner to show it to him, causing them to chuckle.

The botany mam noticed it, and called them out.

"Come on, stand here near the board. You will continue to stand here till the end of the lecture!" she yelled, mistaking them to be school kids yet.

As I looked towards the merry Vedraj and Nischay head in front, I felt something sting in my heart. I realised how carefree and bold they were, while here I was. I don't even remember the last time I was scolded by someone.

Maybe it was the one time I corrected the teacher to a rather wrong answer. That was in 7th grade by the way. I haven't repeated that habit since.

But whatever, I snapped the feelings out once the teacher resumed her teaching. All this daydreaming and rumination was useless. We attended the center to study. And that was what we were supposed to do.

Besides, what were we without studying? Nothing. No study, no marks. No marks, no college. No college, no job, no money, no life. At least that's how my parents raised me. So I rarely compromised in my studies. I don't even remember when was the last time I 'hung out'. Definitely not later than 9th grade.

××××××

"Hey, Amyra, we are planning to go to Oppenheimer this Sunday. You in?" Dhriti asked, eyeing me eagerly.

"No, I'm good."

"Aww, come on, there's no test in the upcoming week!"

"I know, but I have some backlog to cover. And besides, I always start the study for a test a week before. So, sorry, but you guys enjoy."

Her face dropped for a moment, before realising I wasn't the last person she was going with. She then continued to chatter with her friends, which I didn't pay attention to.

Supporting myself by the compound wall, I took out my mobile and began scrolling Youtube shorts. Because Instagram and Snapchat weren't allowed on my phone. Nor I felt any need for them. There were rarely any people for me to snap and chat with.

Like, duh! The current years were too important for us in our life. This one entrance exam decided our entire career!! This was no time to be making friends. Which was what my parents recited. And even though I knew somewhere that it was nonsense, it just stuck into my brain.

So here I was, standing alone, aside from everyone, waiting for my father to come and pick me up. He was unusually late today.

"Yo, topper. All attitude, huh?" Kartikeya came out of the blue.

"What topper? I'm not a topper."

"I don't even need to know your marks for that. Your face is enough for that."