2. Mahi

September, Thursday, 29th

"The Matchmaker? Seriously? I have never ever heard it in my entire time over here. Now quit bothering me," I paced ahead.

But he was persistent. He started walking with my speed to keep up with me. That coin in his hand was still gliding in between his fingers.

"You've been late already, and either way your mom is going to reprimand you. Then why does it matter if it is a couple minutes more?"

I was startled at his psychic personality, but it later occurred to me that he might just have overheard my call. So I decided to ignore him and go on my way.

"Okay, so you are in doubt of my capabilities. What if I prove it to you?"

"Then do prove it," I said casually, wanting him to just leave me alone.

"Fine. How about Mr. Patwardhan then? If he makes an apology tomorrow? No wait, it still sounds pretty general... what if he makes a 'specific' apology to you?"

"Huh... Mr. Patwardhan and apologize to me? Maybe at my funeral or something," I dismissed, also wondering how knew about Mr. Patwardhan's act.

I could definitely say that he wasn't in my batch, but then again, Mr. Patwardhan was not exactly the quietest of all people. We had now reached outside the gates.

"Done then. Just wait till tomorrow morning, and you'll be surprised. Until then, goodbye," he suddenly cut.

He let the coin between his fingers fall free in the air for a moment, before quickly enclosing it back in his palm. I stared at him in curiosity as he walked in the opposite direction, but shook my head and set to the bus stop.

The moment I opened the door to my apartment, I was jumpscared by my mother glaring at me like a statue from the Disneyland horror house.

"Welcome home, Your Majesty," she taunted.

"How many times have I told you to atleast message me before leaving. Can't you do this single task right?"

"I'm sorry mom... It won't happen next time."

"It better not. You know what Mrs. Devrath told me the other day? A teenage girl was assaulted in the middle of a market in broad daylight. The people around were literally recording the incident, but not one stepped up to help."

Ah, something had to be done of this nosy Mrs. Devrath.

"Yeah, mom, I understand, I'll take care."

"Okay, enough of that now. I want to hear your test results."

I gulped, "Uhh... they are going to display it tomorrow."

She then said nothing, just stood there with crossed arms with the grumpiest face I had ever seen in my whole life. And trust me, it was scarier than the Nun. It just automatically made me open up.

"It's 101 in chemistry, 97 in botany, 115 in zoology and 30 in physics. Total..."

"343. I can't believe it Mahi, how many more times do I have to remind you about the reality? I thought that you were serious when you said you wanted to become a doctor. But what is all this? Do you even study or, is there another boy?"

"Mom, please!!" I threw my hands. "There's no boy, I promise, it was just one time!! I do study!"

"When? I don't see you studying?"

"You're working..."

"Oh, please, we used to do that in our childhood. Have you even rechecked your test paper to see what questions you misattempted or left blank?"