6. SK

October, Monday, 3rd

"Are you serious? You seriously kissed Varun the day you just held hands?!" I exclaimed, which made Mahi conscious and signal me to quieten.

"Sorry. But how the hell did all this happen? All of a sudden?"

"I already told you. It's the Match..."

"'The Matchmaker'... You can stop with that now. We aren't that gullible, okay Meh?" Aruna interrupted.

"No, I'm serious!! Why do you think I'm sitting with him yet?"

"Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about. If you say such events did occur yesterday, then how is Varun still sitting with you?" I added.

"Exactly!! It's because of that MM's magic!! Guys, trust me, this guy is insane. He can change the way people think!!"

"Okay, that's enough. I'm bored now. I think all the kissing that happened was in that dream bubble of yours," I replied.

"Ahh... What can I do to make you believe me?? Okay, you just wait. I'm sure something nice will happen over the course of time."

"Yeah, sure, sure. When pigs fly," Aruna sighed.

"But let's just say that the kissing thing did happen. Then what do you think I should do? How should I repair it?" Mahi continued.

"What's there to repair? Just confront Varun and ask him why did he hold your hand? Why did he lead you on if he didn't want to kiss you? Get a clear response to whether he likes you or not. If he acts reluctant, just simply state that you don't have time for uncertainties. Then, if he truly likes you, he'll accept it, or if not, then gal, just fucking move on."

Aruna's philosophies always hit my nerves.

"Urgh, Aruna, will you just shut up for a second. Mahi here isn't a playgirl. And neither Varun her use and throw toy. Mahi, do one thing. Do confront him. But not in the way Aruna says. Just, be subtle and polite. Apologise to him first and ask him of his intentions. If it turns out the way you want, then viola. But if not, then end the matter in a sophisticated way so that it doesn't affect your friendship."

"Oh, yeah, yeah, be all softy and let the guy take the advantage. Wait a second, why the hell are we even arguing over a non-existent fact? Just change the topic!" Aruna squealed.

×××××××

It was late night now. I had been solving all the remaining questions. And I had to complete them there and then for some reason. Even though there wasn't any test immediately. It just, didn't feel right and satisfying to me.

Suddenly, my eyes howered onto the mobile screen and I noticed that it was 0:00 in the clock. It was August 10 now. His birthday. I couldn't forget it even if I wanted to.

It had been a long time, and we did end on a good note, so I thought it would be nice to wish him. I pulled my Instagram and the home page popped up. Navneet's story already had the thank yous posted up. Like, who the fuck was wishing him before 12?

I pressed on to the create option, and added a photo of ours at the middle with the Happy Birthday captions and tagged him. Finally, I set the story on close friends only, and posted it.

Then, I took to wrapping up my study session, and was doing so just when my message notification rung. I picked up the phone only to see that Navneet had sent me a thanks right away. He seemed to be online.

I had wished to just like his message, but he started to type out of the blue.

"Hey, what's up? Been quite a while now, right?"