forty-three

CHAPTER 43:
February 27th, 2016
• • •

The interrogation room felt suffocating as Ace sat across from Keith, the air heavy with tension. The two men locked eyes, each trying to read the other's intentions.

Keith leaned back in his chair, wearing a smug expression that grated on Ace's nerves. "So, Ace, we finally meet again," he said, feigning nonchalance.

Ace rolled his eyes, not bothering to hide his disdain. "Cut the act, Keith. We both know why I'm here."

He raised an eyebrow, his snarky grin widening. "Do enlighten me. I'm all ears."

"You're just trying to get back at me for Brandy, aren't you?" Ace shot back, not mincing words. "You can deny it all you want, but I know the truth."

His mask of indifference faltered for a brief moment, but he quickly recovered. "Brandy has nothing to do with this," he retorted, his tone dismissive.

"Oh, spare me the lies," Ace scoffed. "You're just pissed that she chose me over you."

Brandy never had much of a choice. After years of being with her, Keith knew the ins and outs of her personality, every bit of her, and he knew that she was simply looking for a place to belong. First it was him, and then it was Ace, and now it was the loser she had settled for. 

A flicker of anger crossed his face, but he composed himself, refusing to give the other man the satisfaction. "This is about the evidence we have against you, Ace. You're the one who got yourself into this mess."

Ace leaned forward, and his eyes blazed with defiance. "You and I both know you've been gunning for me ever since you found out about Brandy. Admit it, Keith!"

"I don't waste my time on petty vendettas," he replied, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "I have better things to do than chase after your leftovers."

Ace's fists clenched under the table, his anger simmering just below the surface. He knew that Keith was manipulating the situation, using his position to settle a personal score.

"You're a dirty cop, Keith," he shot back. "And you think you can use that badge to get what you want."

Keith leaned in, his voice low and dangerous. "Watch your mouth. You're in enough trouble as it is."

"Oh, I'm well aware of the trouble I'm in," Ace retorted with a defiant smirk playing on his lips. "But you're not going to get away with this. I have my own cards to play."

His eyes narrowed, but he maintained his composure. "Is that a threat?"

"It's a warning," he replied, his voice ice-cold. "You're not as clever as you think, Keith. I know your secrets, and I won't hesitate to expose you if you push me too far."

The room fell into a tense silence, the air crackling with animosity. Both men knew that they were locked in a dangerous game, each trying to outmaneuver the other.

"I'm not the one in handcuffs," Keith finally sneered.

"Not yet. But I won't go down without a fight."

As Keith's anger flared, he couldn't contain the impulse to lunge across the table and grab Ace by the collar, ready to unleash his frustration physically. But just as his hand tightened around Ace's shirt, his gaze flickered to the corner of the room, where the surveillance camera loomed ominously. 

Realization struck him like a cold shower, and he released Ace's collar with a clenched jaw. "You're lucky that camera is watching."

Ace's lips curled into a grin, his eyes locked on Keith. "It's not luck. It's you not having the guts to cross that line," he taunted.