nineteen

CHAPTER 19:
November 24th, 2015
• • •

As the fog of unconsciousness slowly dissipated, Brandy's eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the sterile brightness of the hospital room. The steady beep of machines echoed in her ears, and the whirring of mechanical life-support systems was almost hypnotic in nature. She looked around, her gaze flickering from the white walls to the IV drip hooked up to her arm.

Despite her grogginess, the reality of the situation hit her like a ton of bricks. She had been beaten, and worse, she had used sex to get drugs. She closed her eyes, wincing at the memories flooding her mind. She had hit rock bottom, and there was no denying it.

With trembling hands, Brandy removed the IV drip from her arm, wincing at the sudden prickling sensation. Her mind raced with thoughts of escape as she cast a quick glance around the empty hospital room, searching for any signs of Keith. But he was nowhere to be seen, and the urgency to leave grew stronger with each passing moment.

Her hospital gown exposed her, but there was no time to change into her own clothes. Every second counted. Every breath was labored as she swung her legs over the edge of the bed and stood up, her knees wobbling unsteadily beneath her.

Her bare feet slapped against the hard floor as she darted out of the hospital room and into the empty corridor, her hospital gown flapping around her like a ghostly shroud. The cool air of the hospital hallway hit her face, and she shuddered, feeling the adrenaline pumping through her veins. She was exposed, vulnerable, as if everyone in the world could see her at her weakest. She searched frantically for a way out, her eyes darting around the sterile walls, trying to find an exit. Her breath came in short gasps, her heart pounding in her chest like a wild beast trying to break free.

She had to get out of there, away from Keith's wrath. Away from the memories of Ace and the drugs and the darkness that seemed to hang over her whole being.

Brandy took a few tentative steps forward, her bare feet slapping against the linoleum floor. She had to keep her head down, not wanting to attract attention, but the paranoia was getting to her. So far she hadn't run into any nurses or doctors, but her luck wouldn't last forever. For all she knew, Keith might appear down the next bend.

As she made it closer to the exit, a sharp voice echoed behind her. "Hey, miss! You can't just leave like that!"

Brandy froze.

She turned around to see a young nurse hurrying towards her. "Please, miss, you need to stay here. You're not well enough to leave yet."

Brandy struggled to pull away, her eyes darting around for an escape route. "You don't understand. I need to go. I need to go before he finds me."

"Let's get you back to your room, alright? I'll have the doctor come to check on you."

"No!" she shouted, her chest heaving with each choked breath as she tried to break free from the woman's clutches. "No, let me go! Let me go! I can't go back there! I can't go back! He's gonna take me home! I can't go home with him!"

Other hospital staff gathered around them, and soon she was surrounded, their voices a cacophony of concern and confusion. She was once again trapped, suffocated by their worry and fear. They drew an audience, both patients and visitors turning their heads toward the commotion to watch the drama unfold.

But Brandy was determined to get away. She pushed past them with as much strength as she could muster, her feet carrying her as fast as they could toward the exit. She could hear their footsteps chasing after her, their voices growing louder.