Chapter 43: Hybrid Gene

Ava looked over at Zane worriedly and she wiped the beaded sweat off his forehead.

"I don't understand. You said he was fine. Why is he sweating so much? His body is burning up," Ava voiced.

"What I did to him isn't the problem. I didn't take his Hybrid into account when I sent him into your mind," Janayla said, cooking up some concoction in a bowl.

She smashed a few leaves before dropping it in a prune looking liquid.

"So it's my fault!? I did this to him!?" Ava said horrified.

"Not exactly. Zane has been using the majority of his energy to hold back his Hybrid. His energy forces were depleted when he went inside your mind. It lowered a threshold that allowed his Hybrid side to take over more easily. Thus his reaction," Janayla explained.

"His Hybrid wasn't anything I've ever seen before. What is he mixed with?" Darius asked curiously.

He too was in the room with Zephen looking over Zane's body.

"I don't know. Evitaline experimented on him along with many others. Her and that damn guardian were mixing genes like a two year old mixing concoctions for their easy-bake oven," Janayla muttered.

"I remember him saying Victoria was experimented on as well. They were the only ones to survive," Ava whispered solemnly.

"So he survived from some freak experiment?" Darius said with a raised brow.

"Not exactly. Evitaline only went after supernaturals that had a certain gene in their DNA. I don't know the exact name, but it's like a Hybrid gene. It lays dormant inside the body until something triggers it," Janayla explained.

"But that doesn't make sense. What I saw...it was more than some Hybrid gene. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it looked like something straight from the underworld," Darius retorted.

The underworld was vast and many creatures inhabited it.

Their father had told them plenty of stories of legendary monsters and beings that originated from the underworld.

The scary part was that neither his father, the king of the underworld, and his forefathers before him could subjugate them.

"I wouldn't be surprised. Evitaline was in cahoots with your father. Despite their differences, they always united for the same cause," Janayla commented.

Their thirst for power came before anything else.

Zane stirred in his sleep and his body became restless as he mumbled something underneath his breath.

"Mom...Dad...," Zane mumbled and Ava stroked his hair comfortingly.

"So what happens now?" Ava asked.

"He'll drink this. It should give him an energy boost so he can reign in his Hybrid," Janayla said pouring the prune concoction into Zane's mouth.

"And if it doesn't work?" Darius dared to say.

"Then we should pray to the moon goddess so that she might spare us," Janayla retorted.

Ava looked down at Zane as he fought his inner demons.

She prayed he would win this battle and come back to her.

"As for you. Have you reached your demon yet?" Janayla asked Ava.

"My demon?" Ava replied with a frown.

"Yes. Your demon, Maddox," Janayla said matter of fact and Ava's eyes bulged.

She had completely forgotten about Maddox.

"Maddox! She disappeared not long after we merged together," Ava said in realization.