Chapter 41: Guarded Memories

Zane opened his eyes to an unfamiliar place.

He found himself in a long hallway with doors on both sides of him.

Was this Ava's mind?

Why did it look so... depressing?

The hallways were barely lit and some of the lights flickered on and off.

It looked like a scene straight from a scary movie.

Zane raised to his feet and dusted himself off.

He didn't have time to critique Ava's mind space.

He needed to help her deal with her trauma so she could heal faster.

"Wish she would've given me instructions," Zane muttered.

What exactly was he supposed to do here?

And where the hell was Ava!?

Zane walked down the hallways aimlessly, and he tried opening the doors, only to find them locked.

How was he supposed to find Ava if the doors were locked!?

Was he supposed to break them down?

He didn't even know if he could use his wolf's strength here.

Zane grew more irritated as he turned a corner and continued down another hallway.

He was one doorknob away from breaking one of these doors down.

Just as he raised his foot to kick down the next locked door, the jingle of keys echoed throughout the hallway.

Zane looked up in confusion and he looked down both sides of the hallway to see no one there.

That was weird.

Zane walked further down the hallway to attempt to open another door, and the sound of keys being rattled echoed through the hallways again.

Okay, he definitely didn't imagine the sound.

There was someone in the hallway with him.

Zane looked down the hallway again, and this time he saw something in the distance.

"What the hell is that?" Zane said, trying to make out the figure.

It was dressed in a dark cloak so he couldn't see its face, and in one pair of its hands were a set of keys, the other was holding a scythe.

"You've got to be kidding me," Zane said, taken aback.

Janayla didn't mention anything about the Grim Reaper being in Ava's mind!

Zane slowly backed away, making sure to not draw too much attention to himself.

He didn't know if this thing was friend or foe.

At first, the dark cloaked figure didn't seem to notice Zane as it checked each door.

It looked like it was making sure every door was locked as it rattled the door knob.

Unexpectedly, Zane's back hit a door, making a loud thud sound.

Zane held his breath as the sound echoed throughout the hallway, and the cloaked figure paused as it registered the noise.

It slowly looked up from the door and turned towards Zane's direction.

To his horror, it let out an unrecognizable screech and its body began floating towards Zane at an inhuman speed.