Chapter 17: Superheroes Hate Responsibilities.

I stifled yet another yawn as I stared at the lilies. Who had come up with this horrendous plan? Who? Watching the last batch of lilies left which were to be stolen the next Monday was ridiculous. Stupid superheroes, not even relaxing for a day or two, just in case. I mean, when the villain was going to come on this Monday since that was the time table he/she was following, why would they just come randomly on any other day?

But nooo, stupid superheroes have to be precautionous (is that even a word?). How could they actually follow what logic stated?

"Stupid idiots," I muttered under my breath. Superheroes were idiots, all of them proud and mighty, none willing to back down or take claim on a fault. They believed themselves to always be correct, after all, they were Superheroes, they made world-changing decisions everyday.

I was reminded of a certain superhero who was always trying to prove that he was capable of making good decisions. A certain someone who's lips had been on mine just an hour ago. I groaned, lowering my head into my hands. I try closing my eyes in hopes of erasing the images forming in my mind, the feel of the silky hair which I could still feel in my hands, the swollen lips grinning, their image still imprinted in my mind. His eyes had been shining bright, somehow his smile making even his eyes brighter and lighter. His whole face was affected by the way his mouth was. If he smiled, his face lightened up, and if-

Stop. I had to stop. Even if I thought it was useless to guard a bunch of lollies that wouldn't even be stolen that day, I still had to perform my duty. After all, what kind of a superhero sat mooning over a boy instead of saving the city? Not a very good one would be the answer.

And not to mention the complications this caused. Being in love was alright, but didn't I like Zed just a few hours ago? Hadn't I even submitted a form to date him? Hadn't he asked me to date him thrice already and promised to wait till I was ready? I mean, it was Zed we were talking about. He was so shy, how did he even get the guts to ask me, and that too, thrice?

Plus, if we dated, the complication of whether we would save the city or each other if there was a choice came up. Superheroes had a tough life. We always had to put ourselves second and the city first.

And not to mention the fact that it would be looked down upon by the superhero society.

"This is so stupid," I groaned, banging my head in my hands. Ah well, I wasn't even sure if I liked Jacob. I mean, we teenagers have hormones, you know? This would've happened sooner or later. Stupid superheroes put too much trust in a bunch of teenagers.

"To hell with Superheroes," I grumbled, lying down beside my bag and the lilies. It was around four in the morning. Chris would be there soon. I started making fireballs in my hands and playing catch with them. Until one accidentally slipped and hit the grass. A fire started.

"Oops..." I muttered, snapping my fingers and making the fire subside. Trust me to torch a patch of grass which would sure be expensive. I mean, these people were rich. Their houses were huge, even their flowers were expensive. Bet you, their grass would also be expensive.

"Shit," I muttered as the smoke cleared and revealed a patch of ash. Thank god, it wasn't close to the lilies or else I would've been screwed.

"I'm here with the terror of the nights," Chris announced miserably, dropping down beside me. I stifled a small scream inside my mouth- he'd scared me there for a moment.
"Terror of nights?" I asked, standing up and brushing off imaginary dust off me.

"He would be referring to me," Akhila said graciously, sitting down beside Chris.
"And she is here because...." I hinted at Chris to complete the sentence.
In answer, he just raised his right hand up. Which made Akhila raise hers too.

"Okay..." I answered unsurely.

"She's getting stupider by the minute," Akhila sighed, shaking her head in mock pity. Chris rolled his eyes and pulled his right arm towards himself. Akhila squealed as somehow she was pulled towards him too, banging into his shoulder. She glanced at him distastefully.
"Can you not?" She huffed.
"Then stop with your wacko comments already," Chris glared at her.

"Guys? Not to interrupt you but..." I let the question trail on.
"Invisible handcuffs," Chris mumbled.

Oh. Oh. I started laughing as it clicked in my mind. I just couldn't help it.
"Oh dude, this is priceless," I gasped in between, still laughing.
"Hahaha," Chris replied sarcastically, for once the bored look and yawns missing from his face.
"How did this happen?" I asked curiously.

"Well, after you left me, alone to deal with her," Chris gave me an angry glance and continued, "I told Res in no uncertain terms that I couldn't take her with me because my parents would be home with me. So he said that SAE could fix that by making them believe that she was a foreign exchange student. Then I said that I had to go to school too. So he said that he would enrol her into our school too. I said that she was a girl and I was a boy. He said that I was not only a boy, I was also a superhero and she was a super villain. There would hardly be any activity going on between us. I told him that sooner or later I would kill her for her remarks. He said that it would still be later than you or Jacob-"

"I get it, I get the gist of it, how in the world did you end up getting handcuffed together?" I questioned, interrupting him. God knows how long he would have gone if I hadn't.

"While they were busy talking, I ran away," Akhila replied to me, smiling like a queen.
"I didn't ask you," I replied curtly.
"She ran away," Chris replied, ignoring Akhila's statement.

"Then...?" I asked impatiently.
"Then we all started a search. Red called Jacob, who suspiciously sounded out of breath,"At this Chris glanced at me suspiciously, but I tried to maintain my 'I-Am-So-Innocent' look and he droned on, "He used his powers to find out Akhila and bring her back. So ensure that she didn't escape again, she was handcuffed to me, the key being with Jacob right now. And my fingerprint also being a key. Because she might be trouble in a fight, so I can cuff her to a pole or something."

I stared at him for a second before starting to laugh all over again.
"This is too good to be true," I managed between my laughs. Something hit my head at the side.

"That hurt," I whipped my head around and saw a big pebble lying on the ground. I glared up at Akhila viciously as Chris sighed.

"Why don't you stop?" He whined, standing up, and pulling his right hand up so that she was also forced too, whether she wanted or not.

"I'm standing up, I'm standing up, don't pull me," she squealed out, her face morphing into one of anger.
"I don't care," Chris drawled, walking towards a tree just a few metres ahead.
Akhila kept on squealing as she was pulled along, not managing to have the time to walk herself as Chris kept on pulling at his right hand, and thus pulling her too. When he reached the tree, he took off the hand cuff off his hand and put it on Akhila's other hand after putting the tree in between, I could feel her silent fury from a distance too, and it made me grin. At last someone was able to manage her.

Chris marched back towards me.
"Good riddance," he yawned, his natural attitude coming back.
"You will be able to manage her and take care of the lilies at the same time, won't you?" I asked him in concern.
"Yeah yeah, you go make out more with Jacob," he yawned boredly.

"I'd advice you to not interfere in matters that don't involve you, sidekick," I looked at him sternly while I blushed on the inside.
"Gladly," he said as he shuddered closing his eyes and thinking of something. Suddenly, thousands of leaves came over and drowned Chris in them.

"I better get back on the job," he grumbled glancing back at Akhila who was busy raising water out of the field to throw at Chris.
"Good luck," I patted his back sympathetically, "you'll need it."

And then I flew off to school, knowing what I was going to do. I smiled. To hell with Superheroes. I was going to get it on with Jacob. After all, if I liked the first one, I would've never fallen for the second one, would I?

One problem solved. Now to the other.
_____________________________