Chapter Thirty-Eight

So, how do we like FighterWard? Isn't he swoon-worthy? Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the story ... What's up next?

We'll get up to New York City and Madison Square Garden in this chapter ... the fight! Who will Edward fight?

What I own: A much-needed summer vacation

What I don't: Twilight

Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Good, Edward! Use that footwork," Charlie cheered from the corner of the ring. "Right hook and then jab!"

Edward was sparring with another fighter from Bull Dog, Brady, preparing for his New Year's Eve bout with Jacob William Black. Despite Charlie's arguments with the governing board against Volterra and their unsportsmanlike conduct with James, Edward was going to fight against Jacob.

Volterra denied culpability of what James did, but there was something off-putting with the whole situation. Charlie did not want a repeat and Edward's body could not handle another attack like the one on Emmett.

The bell rang and the fighters separated. Edward stalked back to his corner, sitting down heavily. "We're going to call it for now."

"Who won?" Brady asked. "Me or Masen?"

Bella, who was standing off to the side, totaled up the scores. "Edward won. He landed more punches," she answered. "It was close, though. Emmett, can you go over the tape with Brady?"

"Sure thing, Bells," Emmett nodded, handing Brady a towel. "Let's get you cooled down and then we'll watch the tape. We can strategize how to boost your scores if you don't win by knockout. Edward's just a beautiful, efficient fighter."

"Agreed on that assessment," Charlie beamed. "Run a mile or two and then meet me in the suite after you get rubbed down. Your shoulder ... you're favoring it."

"It's tight," Edward said after he took out his mouth guard. "I pushed it too hard when I was strength training yesterday."

"Hmmm, skip the run and soak in the hot tub. Then, get a message," Charlie ordered. "Meet me up in the suite in two hours. Bells, make sure that we have a protein-heavy meal for Edward for lunch."

"Got it," Bella nodded, holding a phone to her ear. "Good job, Edward. You looked great against Brady. You'll kick Jacob's ass tomorrow. I have no doubt." She mouthed she loved him before leaving the practice gym around the corner from the Stewart Hotel where they were staying.

Once Bella was out of earshot, Edward hopped out of the ring. "I feel like something is off, Charlie," Edward muttered. "Like, I'm being set up as a lamb to slaughter."

"Edward, no," Charlie said. "We've been given assurances that the Volturi will be playing by the rules. We have Jacob's medical release and he tested clean."

"They could have cooked the results," Edward snapped, holding out his hands so Charlie could unwrap his knuckles. "I ... I'm terrified, Charlie. After seeing what happened with Emmett?"

"Let's talk in the training room," Charlie said, tossing Edward a towel. They made their way to the training room and Edward quickly changed into a pair of swim trunks, slipping into the hot tub's water. "You're good, Edward. One of the best fighters in the world, with beautiful technique and graceful style. I also think you're gun shy. This is your first fight since Demetri. If you want to fight Jacob and then be done? I'll support you, son. If you want to continue fighting? Again, I'll support you. No matter what, I'll support you. Hell, I've seen you work with Colin, Brady and a few other of the younger fighters. You could be a great coach. Better than me ..."