Chapter Eighteen

So, how do we like FighterWard? Isn't he swoon-worthy? Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the story ... What's up next?

Will Edward push his way past Bella's resolve? Leave me your thoughts. The rest of the barbecue is in this chapter. Thanks for reading!

What I own: Amazing friends and family

What I don't: Twilight

Chapter Eighteen

Edward walked back out of the house, trying not to think too much about the brush off he'd received from Bella. She was coldly polite, but that connection they'd shared had disappeared. He wanted it back, but was resigned that she'd be in the periphery of his life, moving forward.

"Masen! I need another beer. Grilling all this meat is making me thirsty," Emmett bellowed.

"You're meeting me tomorrow morning, Emmett," Charlie chided as he tossed a beanbag, playing cornhole with Carlisle and a few other fighters. "I don't want you to be hungover."

"I'll be fine," Emmett said. "This is my second beer. I'll stop after four. I promise."

"Why am I your beer wench?" Edward snorted. "Jasper is perfectly capable, as are you, Emmett. I could watch the meat while you get your own beverage."

"Oooh, he has a point, Tubbo," Jasper sang. "I think I like you, Edward. You're my new bestie. Slacker, over there, can just suffer in the smoke."

With a scowl, Emmett handed Edward the tongs and stomped into the house. Edward laughed, flipping over the burgers, and sipping his water. As he manned the grill, an older woman with curled honey hair and a pleasant smile glided into the party with a younger woman next to her. The younger woman was striking with pale skin, dark brown hair, and icy blue eyes. Carlisle kissed the older woman, hugging the younger one. With a grin, Carlisle brought the pair over to Jasper, Edward, and the now grumpy Emmett.

"Esme, I'd love to introduce you to the newest fighter to the Bull Dog family, Edward Masen," Carlisle smiled. "Edward, this is my wife and light of my life, Esme Cullen."

"Don't let Alice hear you say that," Jasper quipped. "She thinks she's the light of your life."

"I love my daughter, but she's the reason why I have these grey hairs," Carlisle snorted. "Devil spawn."

"Emmett didn't help, either," Esme teased, ruffling his curls.

"I'm amazing," Emmett argued. "Alice was the devil spawn ... trying to get out from the shadow of my awesomeness."

"You keep telling yourself that, kiddo," Carlisle laughed. "How are you doing, Bree? Settling into Seattle?"

"Different than Alaska, but I like it," the younger woman smiled.

"Edward, this is my niece, Bree Tanner. She's my youngest sister's only child and moved here to start her career as a physical therapist. She'll be working with Rosalie in her practice," Esme explained. "Edward, from what I've been told, is also a newcomer to the Pacific Northwest, moving here from Chicago."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Edward said, shaking her hand. Bree looked at him hungrily, either enamored by his looks or his celebrity. Regardless of her perusal, it made him uncomfortable.

"Maybe you can give me a tour. We could possibly explore the city together?" Bree suggested, moving closer to him, and running her hand along his forearm.

"I'm just getting back into training and I'm hitting the ground running after an appointment tomorrow. My days will be spent in the gym," Edward replied politely. He saw something out of the corner of his eyes. Bella seemed agitated, stomping away.