Chapter Thirty-Six

So, how do we like FighterWard? Isn't he swoon-worthy? Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the story ... What's up next?

Up next will be a jump in time, leading up to Christmas and preparations for Edward's first fight in New York at Madison Square Garden. We'll also hear about the investigation into Volterra, James' punishment and more about Emmett's injury.

What I own: A summer cold

What I don't: Twilight

Chapter Thirty-Six

The fire was burning in the fireplace with some quiet instrumental holiday music playing in the background. Edward was hanging some décor over the fireplace, giant bells and straightening them, trying not to let them all clang. Bella was carefully unwrapping ornaments, hanging them on her rustically, but elegantly appointed tree. It had been put up hastily, but not decorated due to the craziness of their schedules.

"Will it snow?" Edward asked. "Not like Chicago has had white Christmases recently, but I do like the idea of the white fluffy stuff on the ground for Christmas."

"More like a sleety, mushy, snowy mess," Bella answered, wrinkling her nose. "In the higher elevations, they get snow. With our location, we get more sleet. Though when I was thirteen, we had a huge snowstorm. We were stuck at Bull Dog for three days. The plows couldn't get out."

"Three days at the gym. Sounds like fun," Edward deadpanned.

"We had everything we needed. Showers, a kitchen, food, and entertainment," Bella quipped. "The only thing that sucked was that I was the only girl. The guys were rank where I came out smelling like a proverbial rose. Even my dad reverted back to his baser, male instincts. I made Carlisle pick me up and I stayed with them until my dad realized that he smelled like a foot."

"Gross!" Edward laughed. "I mean, all guys go through that phase, but a grown man?"

"Yep," Bella said, standing up and wiping her hands on her jeans. "What time did Alice say she was coming?"

"Alice had a meeting with Colin and was picking up Jasper at three. Rose and Emmett will be here in about ten minutes," Edward replied.

Emmett, after two weeks in the hospital, had made a complete recovery and regained his memory of his wife and unborn baby girl ... yes, they were having a girl. He did struggle with short term memory loss, debilitating migraines, and a short temper, but those would eventually decrease with time and without the constant barrage of fists. Emmett officially retired, winning his last bout due to the disqualification of James.

James, who was still in jail, and would presumably stay there until his trial date for first degree assault, attempted murder, and a slew of other lesser charges on his attack of Emmett Cullen. He was also dropped by Volterra, which was put on probation for the actions of their fighter. Victoria kicked him to the curb, as well.

Ironically, she tried to get in touch with Edward ... sending him naked pictures to entice him back into her clutches.

Bella did not take too kindly to that. She sent a picture of the two of them kissing and said that he was no longer single. He was hers until further notice. With a flourish, Bella blocked the number and dragged Edward back to her office to prove how much he was hers ... with another teasing, taunting and amazing blowjob. They'd yet to make love, but it would be happening soon, if Bella had her way.

She was ready.

He was ready.

Time was their enemy.

With Emmett's retirement, Edward's upcoming fight and the press surrounding Edward's return to the ring, Charlie was heavily upping Edward's training. The only time that Edward was at 'rest' was when he was sleeping, usually at Bella's home since it was closer to Bull Dog than his apartment. Seven days a week, he was fighting, running, sparring, training, and watching film to get him ready for his first fight in over a year. They did not know who he was fighting, but it was narrowed down to a fighter from New York City or a fighter from Volterra. After the debacle with James, they prayed that Edward's opponent would be the New York fighter: Benjamin Amun. The Volterra fighter would either be Sam Uley or Jacob Black, who had lost weight and was in the same weight class as Edward.