Chapter Four

So, how do we like FighterWard? Isn't he swoon-worthy? Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the first chapter and now, we're going to find out more ... What happened to our dear FighterWard?

What I own: An unhealthy crush on Robert Pattinson ... I mean ...he's the pretty!

What I don't: Twilight

Chapter Four

"Aro, I said I'm not ready!" Edward argued, standing up and pacing his agent's office angrily. "I'm still dealing with these awful migraines and dizziness. Marcus said I was ready to train. I'm nowhere near ready to fight."

"We've been flexible, Edward," Aro placated. "We allowed you to rehab on your own, with your own people. Though, Caius is not happy with your progress."

"Caius no longer has a say in my career, Aro. I told you this," Edward gritted out. "I don't trust him. Not after ... that debacle with Demetri."

"Caius said he did not do anything to harm you," Aro argued, arching a dangerous brow at his prized fighter. "You're our biggest fighter, Edward. Why would we sabotage you? You've made us very rich. Most of this building was renovated thanks to your stellar reputation."

"I wouldn't be surprised if you have another stellar fighter moving up the pipeline and you want them to take my spot," Edward suggested. "I may be a fighter, but I'm not like a majority of those guys in the gym. I graduated, first in my class, with a degree in business. I have a brain."

"You do, Edward," Aro nodded, but in his mind, he was shocked that Edward had even suggested that they had another fighter waiting in the wings. He was also surprised that Edward had figured out why he'd been injured ... Demetri had been chosen specifically and given the tools to beat Edward with the brass knuckles, including an inebriated prize fighter. Caius, however, was sloppy. He put too much sedative in Edward's water, making the fight end sooner rather than later.

A mistake that cost them millions.

"Aro, talk to Marcus. He'll tell you," Edward huffed, picking up his workout bag and walking to the door of Aro's office. "If you can't understand this then I don't know if I can continue fighting with Volterra."

"Edward, we have a contract," Aro responded coolly.

"We may have a contract, but I'm almost done with it," Edward replied, matching his manager's tone. "I can't, in my good conscience, consider staying with you if my well-being is not being considered. Fighting in two weeks is not feasible. Marcus ..."

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: Marcus coddles you," Aro snapped. He scowled at Edward. "I don't want to lose you, Edward. You've made us the premier fighting club in the Midwest. We've got several amazing fighters joining our Volterra family, all because of you!"

Just like I thought ... Edward thought bitterly. "Be that as it may ... I'm going to do some strength training before I check in with Marcus. He said he might have me get another CT scan because of the migraines and dizziness."

Aro gave Edward a bland look. "I still think you're overreacting."

Edward shook his head, leaving Aro's office and leaving to change into some workout clothes. He warmed up on the treadmill, running three miles. When he'd walked to the speed bag, he saw Caius sauntering over to him. His expression was fuming, irate. Edward ignored him, taping up his knuckles and began his workout. He finished at the speed bag, moving to a hanging punching bag.

"You can't ignore me forever, Masen," Caius huffed.

"I can and I will," Edward said, throwing punches and working on his technique and speed.

"I'm your coach," Caius snarled, moving to stand behind the punching bag and holding it as Edward continued to punch at it. "Your coach who is fucking pissed that you're not fighting in two weeks in Las Vegas. This fight could be so lucrative for your career. Your triumphant return after your disappointing loss to Demetri."

"Demetri was disqualified and blacklisted. That 'loss' does not count because he used brass knuckles inside his gloves," Edward said, putting more force behind his punches.

Caius had to brace himself to not fall over. He was a skinny fucker.

With each hit, Edward's head throbbed, but he felt somewhat vindicated as Caius cringed as he beat the shit out of the punching bag. Another forceful punch, he stopped and took off his gloves to massage his temples to ease the pain in his brain, pulsating behind his eyes. "I haven't sparred with anyone because of this head injury. Even with protection, I'm hesitant. Do you not understand that I'm trying to protect myself?" he argued. Stalking over to his water bottle, he finished half of it and wiped down his face. In the ring, he saw a flash of blond and bulging muscles. "Who's that?"

"New fighter," Caius replied, sauntering over to Edward with a knowing smirk. Maybe seeing his competition, Edward would go back into the ring. "He just moved here at the beginning of the year. James Danforth ... he's working with Felix for now, but I've been helping out since I haven't had a chance to work with you. You're slacking, Masen."

Edward shook his head, watching James brutally fight one of the more inexperienced boxers in the gym, practically pummeling the guy to a bloody pulp. Turning, Edward noticed his tattoos. Tattoos he recognized. Tattoos that he saw his girlfriend, ex-girlfriend, caress as she cheated on him. "Fuck," he spat.

"What?" Caius asked. "You want to take him on? He's a heavy weight. You've lost some pounds, but you're still fast, strong and could kick his ass."

Tempting, Edward mused inwardly. "No, I'm going to shower and then see Marcus. I've got an appointment." He picked up his towel, water bottle and gloves, pushing past Caius. He kept his head down, not wanting to capture James' attention.

After a quick shower, Edward got into his Volvo, driving to Marcus' private office on the campus of University of Chicago. Parking his car, he rode up to the office and was greeted by the receptionist. She waved Edward back to one of the exam rooms, where he sat down, fiddling with a string on his jeans.

Marcus breezed in a few moments later, wearing a crisp white coat with black dress pants, a grey shirt, and a burgundy paisley tie. "How are you feeling, Edward?" Marcus asked, sitting down opposite of him.

"Done with your brothers," he grumped.

"Hmmm, me, too, but unlike you I can't walk away," Marcus frowned. "They're my family. However, I was thinking more about your head."

"Migraine, but I think it has more to do with my hatred for your brothers than my injury," Edward replied.

Marcus stood up, taking out his penlight and checked Edward's eyes. Edward flinched at the brightness, making Marcus frown. "Follow my finger ... good," Marcus whispered. "Squeeze around my fingers ... damn! You've got your strength back."

"Sorry," Edward mumbled.

"Don't apologize," Marcus chuckled, gently prodding his fingers along Edward's neck and scalp. "I can give you some medication for the migraines, but from your last scans, your brain is fine. However, I strongly suggest that you not fight for at least another two months because despite those scans, you still caused your brain to be rattled with that attack."

"Tell that to your brothers," Edward frowned. "Aro signed me up for a fight in two weeks." He shook his head. "Like I said, I'm done. I ... I need to get the hell out of Chicago."

"This is about more than just your fighting career," Marcus surmised. Edward nodded. "Okay, the doctor hat is coming off. Now, I'm your friend. Talk to me ..."

And, Edward did. He told Marcus everything.

A/N: So, what do you think of FighterWard? Leave me your thoughts ...

Pictures from this chapter are on my blog. You can find a link on my profile. I'm also on FB: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation. Twitter, too: tufano79.

Up next, we'll meet Bella.

Thanks for reading!