Chapter Fourteen

So, how do we like FighterWard? Isn't he swoon-worthy? Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the story ... What's up next?

Okay, slight delay ... apartment hunting and discussions (more in depth) about their pasts are coming up in this chapter.

What I own: An awesome therapist

What I don't: Twilight

Chapter Fourteen

After picking up some coffee for Bella - she'd been delayed thanks to her phone call with Jacob - they drove to the first of three apartment complexes. Edward did not like the layout or the drive to the gym. It was the farthest from Bull Dog, located in Redmond.

The realtor, an older woman with sharp eyes and friendly smile, gave them the address for the second place, which was in a neighborhood near the Space Needle. As Edward drove to the second apartment, he slyly looked at Bella. She was staring out the window, twisting her watch around her wrist.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Edward asked.

"Just thinking about what you said in my office," she murmured. "Grieving what I had with Jacob ... we'd known each other for as long as I could remember. He used to be so sweet, but once he got a taste of winning and notoriety, he changed."

"Most people do. I'm not the same guy from when I started fighting," Edward shrugged.

"Why did you? I mean, you said you went to Northwestern. You could have used that degree in business," Bella said.

He blew out a breath, narrowing his eyes. "I started fighting because my dad lost everything. My mom, she died when I was really young and with that a part of him died, too. He started drinking. His alcoholism became his driving force. I didn't matter. Our home didn't matter. His job ..."

"Oh my God," Bella murmured.

"Yeah. We lost the house and were forced to move into a shithole apartment. We kind of floated because he'd cashed in my college fund. But, he didn't care about me. I was just a cruel reminder of what he'd lost," Edward sneered.

"What does that mean?" she asked.

"I look a lot like my mom. Same coloring, similar mannerisms and ..." he trailed off. "My dad, who was also Edward, adored her. Tolerated me. I was the thing that stole my mom's attention away from him. He resented me and when she was gone, that resentment changed to hate. Trust me when I say that I hate him as much as he hated me. I don't use that terminology lightly." He tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. "I got accepted to Northwestern and received a decent scholarship. That scholarship was not enough to cover it all and I couldn't get student loans. My dad had opened up credit cards in my name in order to get more money for booze, tanking my credit score."

"Your dad's an asshole," Bella snorted humorlessly.

"You won't get any argument from me. Anyway, I needed money for school. I was not going to let my dad's bullshit steal my future. The night of my high school graduation, I fought in an amateur match and won $20,000. So, I fought my way through college," he shrugged. "I was able to get an apartment, dig myself out of the financial hole my dad dug for me. My roommate, Garrett, his father was a police officer and they filed charges against my father for identity theft. My credit report was restored."

"What happened with your dad?"

"I don't know, to be honest. As soon as I moved out of that dingy apartment ... I didn't have a father," Edward sighed. "I think he was arrested, but I don't care."

"So, you fought amateur fights. When did you become pro?" Bella asked. "How did you get wrapped up with the Volturi?"

"I became pro a year after I graduated from college. Aro approached me and at first, he was a good guy. They molded me, but after the injury, I was no longer their Golden Calf," he huffed. "I think they threw the fight I had with Demetri. Caius drugged me and Aro planned with Demetri's coach for me to be pummeled. Unfortunately, I don't have proof." He followed the realtor into another apartment complex. Parking in one of the guest spots, he turned to Bella, "The past six months have been a struggle, but in a way, I'm happier since I'm free of the Volturi. I'm free of my extremely materialistic ex. I'm just free to make the best decisions for my life."