Chapter Three

So, how do we like FighterWard? Isn't he swoon-worthy? Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the first chapter and now, we're going to find out more ... What happened to our dear FighterWard?

What I own: A 2016 Green Honda Pilot (just submitted my final payment! YES!)

What I don't: Twilight

Chapter Three

Four Months Later

Balancing his workout bag on his shoulder, Edward glanced up at Volterra Fighting Club. It was a high-end, elite boxing gym that was the home to several champions. However, Edward was not as comfortable continuing his contract with the Volturi. The only one he trusted was Marcus.

Caius, who had been his coach since he became a professional boxer, lost that trust. With the situation surrounding that last fight, Edward would rather walk away.

Aro, Caius's older brother and Edward's agent, also lost his trust because he was not concerned with the migraines Edward experienced daily while he recovered from the beat down he'd received from the blacklisted Demetri Romanoff.

Marcus had been his only ally and advocate.

"Do I even want to continue to do this?" Edward asked, looking at the gym.

He'd only gotten into boxing to pay for his freedom. His father, after his mother died, became worthless. He was a drunk and lost everything, including Edward's college fund. So, he had to find a way to get money and working at McDonald's would not give him the opportunity to go to college. He got a scholarship to Northwestern since he was smart as hell, but he could not afford it, even with the scholarship.

All that changed when he found a flyer for an amateur fight where the winning purse was well over $20,000. Edward was not a fighter, but he had dabbled in wrestling and was quick on his feet. He scraped together the entrance fee and watched as many YouTube videos as possible. The night he graduated from high school, Edward won that purse and was able to leave the dump he'd lived in with his loser father. He left a thousand dollars to help his dad, but after that, Edward Sr. was no longer his concern.

With the rest of his winnings, he was able to pay for his first semester of university, a small apartment, and books for his classes. Edward continued his amateur fights, bankrolling his education and making a name for himself. He majored in business, with a minor in finance, graduating first in his class.

At his last fight as an amateur, an older gentleman approached him. Edward's roommate and sometimes coach, Garrett, recognized the man right away as Aro Volturi, owner of Volterra. Aro was impressed with his wins and style, but wanted to take his fighting to the next level. Edward tried to explain that he was not in fighting for the long haul, but when Aro waved a six-figure signing bonus, Edward agreed and jumped at fighting professionally.

The rest was, as they say, history.

Unfortunately, Edward was stuck in a contract and now he was fearing for his health.

And, his sanity.

His girlfriend was driving him bonkers with her constant chatter, complaining that he wasn't working anymore, and he never left the house.

I have a concussion and possibly brain damage. Not to mention a fucked-up arm ... would it kill you to be kind to me? Let me heal in my condo?

He was ready to pull the trigger on kicking her to the curb, ending their four-year long relationship. He was over it.

All of it.

"Edward, son, don't just stand out here," Aro crooned smarmily. "We've missed you." He sidled up to Edward and guided him into the gym, where music was blaring and the fighters were working out, stretching, or sparring. "We've made some upgrades. What do you think?"