44. larimar

"How is my father doing?" I focused my gaze out of the window, watching as an exasperated Levi received a tour from Armin and Eren.

"You should visit him yourself," Mikasa responded, frowning slightly.

well

"I don't think that's a good idea," I gestured to the body I was in, "there's no telling what his reaction would be- I don't want to make his condition any worse."

even if i would like to see him

it isn't possible

for his sake

"Even so-"

"Forget I ever brought it up," I cut her off, "how has the guard been?"

"Same as always."

"That's good to hear- did you know that Levi was interested in magical tools?" I quickly changed the subject.

"Why are you so invested in him?" Mikasa's stare seemed to pierce through me.

erhm-

"Why wouldn't I be?" I glanced off to the side, avoiding her eyes, "I mean we're stuck like this- it benefits me to be cooperative."

and i know you wouldn't believe this but i'm coming around on him

just a little bit-

unfortunately

"Don't worry about it Mikasa-" I nudged her, "when all of this is over everything will go back to normal."

before this ends i will be kidnapping farlan

"They should be done soon," she gestured down at Levi.

right

"I guess we should regroup," I paused, "I'm serious, don't worry about me."

it's going to be really hard to convince everyone that levi isn't a horrible person

who's fault is that?

well- mine but- he does deserve it on occasion

"Fine," Mikasa agreed, holding the door open for me as the two of us walked to the courtyard.

unconvincing

"It's good to be back," I breathed a long sigh of relief, "the Ackerman Duchy is beautiful but it isn't home."

it's been a long time since i woke up somewhere familiar

"It's a good thing that you're back," Mikasa fell into place a step behind me.

"Did something happen?"

"Eren."

"Oh."

ever since we were younger he's been a problem

mostly because-

mikasa is softer on him

well-

and i enjoy instigating

"Nothing too bad I hope," I could hear Armin and Eren as we neared the courtyard.

"The usual," she sighed.

i can't imagine any of it is interesting-

i mean-

let's think long and hard about all of the times eren has gotten in trouble-

"It's way more predictable when I'm gone, isn't it?"