41. lead

"What do you think of this one?" I leaned towards Levi, holding a book out to him.

making the best of being dragged to a bookstore by this guy

"That looks like shit," he stifled a laugh, pushing the bodice ripper away.

i tried

"Aren't you curious?" I looked back at the cover of the book, a detailed illustration of a shirtless man and busty woman making out, "I mean you clearly haven't experienced this."

"I-"

"Levi- let's not lie to ourselves," I shook my head at him.

"I don't need to read a shitty book to experience anything."

"Shame," I paused, "are you almost done? I want to explore the town for a little bit longer."

"One minute," he continued to browse the shelves. "We harassed the locals for you, be patient."

ok mom

"Excuse me, have you seen a young man and woman wearing suspicious cloaks?" A voice called out to the store clerk, causing me to freeze in my tracks.

no way-

"Duck," Levi whispered, shoving me down between two bookshelves.

THAT'S

"How the fuck did Farlan find us that fast-" I whispered at him.

WHAT DO WE DO

I'M NOT READY TO GO

WE CAN ESCAPE RIGHT ?

"It's two against one, don't worry," Levi whispered back, reaching for a large book on the shelf.

"I could've sworn I just saw two people who fit the description," the shopkeeper responded.

NO

"Is there a back door? We should sneak out," I muttered, peaking around the shelf to figure out where Farlan was standing.

or better yet-

we can just run

i'm really not confident in our ability to FIGHT our way out of this

"If we stay quiet he'll leave," Levi responded, reassuring me.

ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN?

"Big bro, what are you doing on the floor?"

no...

"Isabel-" I whisper shouted, motioning for her to shut up and get down.

"-shut up," Levi finished the sentence for me, grabbing the hem of her shirt to yank her down between the bookshelves.

I HOPE TO GOD FARLAN DIDN'T HEAR HER

"Isabel, did you find anything?" Farlan called out.

OH GOD OH FUCK

"Uh-" she hesitated looking back at Levi and I, "n-no-"

THAT'S SO SUSPICIOUS

"Are you lying to me?" Farlan again.

"Of course not-" she shouted back, "I just uh- tripped- that's all."

if this horrible lie saves us i will never look at farlan the same again

"Keep looking then."

oh...

farlan is kinda dumb