39. spinel

"There has to be a better way to do this-" I frowned, staring at the stretch of water that separated us from the town.

it's not that big but still-

i don't want to be in a boat with him

i'm scared

"It'll take two minutes, help me with the boat," Levi shrugged, gesturing to a small wooden rowboat hidden in some bushes.

i-

"Can we walk? We got here on a carriage right? Let's just take the bridge-"

"I thought we were sneaking out?" He rolled his eyes at me, "you'll just get caught if you walk."

he has a point-

man up y/n

ISN'T IT ENOUGH THAT IM IN THIS BODY ???

WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO DO

GET IN THE BOAT

"You're rowing," I muttered, helping him drag the boat to the edge of the water.

"Lazy," he grumbled, but didn't make any other signs of protest, "get in."

are you certain there isn't a better way to do this?

"Give me a minute-" I tried to steady my breathing, walking to the edge of the water, the short distance we had to cross suddenly feeling miles wide.

on second thought i don't need to go-

"Getting cold feet? You're the one who insisted we go-"

"I said give me a fucking minute," I snapped at him unconsciously, immediately turning back to look at his stunned expression. I could only imagine what my face looked like, probably a mirror of his, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"

it's just-

"Is something wrong?" Levi asked after a long pause, moving to stand next to me.

"No-" I stammered, looking away from the water to rebalance myself.

i'm scared

"Is it the water?" He frowned at me, following my eyes as they avoided him, "we can turn back."

no

"I want to go," I murmured, "I really do."

"Then-" he looked around, as if an answer was suddenly going to appear if he scowled at the glistening expanse for long enough. "Do you think it'll be fine if you close your eyes?"

"Maybe-" I continued to avoid his gaze, "this is embarrassing."

"No it isn't," Levi scoffed, "you fucking drowned, of course you're scared of it- close your eyes."

ok-

"Don't push me-"

"Why the fuck would I do that?"

"I don't know-" I paused, my nails digging into the palm of my hand, "just a dumb worry I guess."

"Are you ok getting in?" He frowned, "it'll be harder with your eyes closed-"

"Give me a hand," I mumbled under my breath, squeezing my eyes shut.

"What?"

"I said give me a hand," I repeated, willing the shaking in my voice to settle down, holding out my hand in wait.

"Move slowly," I could feel Levi's warm hand in mine, slowly guiding me to the boat.

is it appropriate to call it his hand?