19 | The Kind Of Love

"Happy birthday!"

I would've fallen downstairs if Jay wasn't behind me, holding my waist as I stumbled upon my steps. Liam, Kevin, Chayoung and some of the Enhypen members were here. In my apartment. With the living room decorated for my birthday celebration. I opened and closed my mouth, not knowing what to say, actually surprised.

Jay's breath brushed against my cheek as he gave me a half hug and leaned down. "Happy birthday, Ara." His gaze on me was gentle and I knew if I could wish for something right now, I would wish for him to look at me like this forever. "Happy Happy birthday."

"Wow. Thanks." I smiled and Chayoung came my way, embracing me in her warm hug. "You remember me? I thought your best friend is Hayun?" I raised my brows as we parted, and she shook her head dramatically as if I was being an idiot.

"Your jealous ass never cease to surprise me." Chayoung smiled. "I hugged you once this year, so don't worry you won't have to go through this again." She turned to Jay. "Lucky you though, Mr ex. You got to hug her hell a lot of times," she whispered.

I rolled my eyes. "It was an act. You know that."

Chayoung shrugged. Heesung came and greeted me. He was someone who didn't talk much, but watched instead. His eyes moved to Jay and I knew something had happened there. But again I wouldn't ask. It was not my business. Not anymore. Sunghoon hugged me tightly and Sunoo's bright smile was something that I expected yet mesmerized me when they wished me. Jake, Niki and Jungwon weren't there, and had sent their gifts.

I knew why Jungwon wasn't here. Everyone knew. Chayoung knew too. Whatever they had was destroyed by Jungwon. I would give him that. I thought Chayoung would cause damage, but Yang Jungwon hit the nail on the head.

"My dearest sister." Kevin opened his arms wide. "Look who has come to wish you happy birthday." He grinned and cocooned me in his arms. "I love you. Thank you for coming into my life."

Enhypen members were watching us, so I didn't stomp on his foot and hugged him back. Liam bowed to me and I gave him a smile that clearly said he was in trouble for letting my stupid cousin aka step brother come here. He only grinned sheepishly and hid behind Jay. Traitor.

I cut the cake and they sang me happy birthday. Sunghoon had to leave first because well Silver was here, Heesung accompanied him. They both asked me to open the presents after they leave. Sunoo gave me his present and asked if he could talk to me alone. I frowned and followed him to the balcony.

"This is from.. Bora." Sunoo gave me a box, and I looked up surprised. "I know that you're her step sister. Came to know recently. Take it."

I examined the box, and narrowed my eyes at him. "Aren't you angry?" I asked, and he smiled. "You're supposed to be angry. I was out right using you to get back at Bora-"

"But you weren't." Sunoo stepped beside me. His face brightened under the moonlight. "I think somewhere you wanted to be a part of Bora's life. You wanted to know her. I mean how come you had a detective following her?"

"How... How do you know..."

"When Bora told me about you, I went to Jay hyung. He thought I deserved to know about everything and he told me that you were planning revenge." Sunoo chuckled. "If you wanted to ruin Bora, you would have done it ages ago. You could ruin her parents' business and hurt her where it actually hurts. But you invaded her life in a completely different way..."

I scoffed. "You're taking me in a high regard-"

"You hadn't even planned much when Jay hyung, the unexpected twist, came into the game." He glanced at me, and I flinched at the intensity of his gaze. "His pretense must've had some kind of effect on you. I believe that... even if you actually came to take a revenge, Jay hyung changed you. You... like him."